Is demonstrations and boycotting part of ABCD action?

charles esibikhwa edward
charles esibikhwa edward
@charles-esibikhwa-edward
7 years ago
16 posts

Hallo people,i just wanted to know,is real activism,i mean mobilizing people  to hold their leaders accountable for the services they offer the community part of ABCD approach?i mean demonstrations and boycotting our leaders.Or should we play it soft just to come up with solutions to our problems just because members are willing to gather their assets and be part of the solution to their problems.

updated by @charles-esibikhwa-edward: 03/07/17 03:30:48AM
John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
7 years ago
50 posts

I believe that ABCD can greatly inform traditional adversarial organizing approaches. Your collective voices are assets, boycotting is leveraging the assets of committed people. ABCD can also complement the goals of getting rid of the status quo, by using capacity-centered approaches to creating what will replace the old policy/practices. I wrote a little about this idea here: http://abcdinaction.org/john-hamerlinck/blog/100/addressing-common-misunderstandings-about-abcd

charles esibikhwa edward
charles esibikhwa edward
@charles-esibikhwa-edward
7 years ago
16 posts

Thank you John,before i came to know about ABCD,i had actually done the other design of community organizing which included activism,boycotting,demonstration.Though much of this was on issue based approach, ABCD has been on strengths and capacities and i have come to like it so much because it has been in line with how i think things should be done.So i was just asking to know if i can incorporate the two modes of organizing.I mean organizing by focusing on what can work for the community.Beside this,i have also read your article on the link you gave me and its really helping me know more.Thanks a lot. 

Tags