Ownership of actions that come out of ABCD processes

Matt Colombo
Matt Colombo
@matt-colombo
5 years ago
6 posts

Hello, All! Matt here from Co-operate WNC: A Regional Mutual Aid Initiative. What I'm about to post was also posted on the ABCD In Action Facebook group and there is a thread there, attached below. You'll need to open the file in a picture viewer and zoom in.

I'm wondering if anyone with ABCD experience would be willing to talk with me about examples of community members (aside from those community members that are facilitating the ABCD process) taking the lead in projects that have come out of the process. Would be awesome to hear the outcome of those projects / how they are going.

It seems it can be easy for the actions that come out of ABCD to fall back on the facilitators of the ABCD process, especially if they are paid and staff of a community organization, but it seems that lasting change and the success of ABCD comes when groups of community members own the outcomes, see them through (if applicable), and then go through the cycle again.

Some folks over on Facebook seemed interested in talking about examples of this community member led action has taken place. I am in the process of arranging talking with them.

Thank you!

Alan Blackshaw
Alan Blackshaw
@alan-blackshaw
5 years ago
4 posts

Hi Matt,

i’ve been meaning to set aside a time to talk but haven’t gotten there yet.

There were two projects I was involved with a few years ago that involve communities who took control. Both are on the south coast of NSW, Australia. I gave you some information about Sanctuary Point Community Pride. This has been incredibly successful and formed a model on how the council worked with community.

This group grew out of perceived crime in the area. People thought that it was better 20 years ago when they first moved there. The result of their lobbying was a large public meeting with police, local members and council. The meeting had two sections. A formal sections where police painted a picture of their involvement and crime stats and council providing a summary of infrastructure works in the area. At the end of the formal section we broke into a world cafe format with an emphasis on ABCD type actions ie what was good or strong in the area, identify assets etc. at the end the meeting reconvened and formed a committee to progress actions. Council initially chaired the meeting. One council staff member worked on physical infrastructure planning to enhance the area. The person chairing the meeting worked hard steering the group to an ABCD agenda. At first it was frustrating work. Few involved had committee experience and were easily sidetracked to minor concerns such as insurance. It was only when they eventually settled on a Spring into Sanctuary Point event to showcase the local services and community groups that things gelled. From that point on the group went from strength to strength. They attracted support from the local community bank and attracted members who had skills in planning and committee work. After about two years Council was able to withdraw. That was probably 8-10 years ago.

The group has continued. They lobbied, raised funds for a learn to ride track for children. They care for this themselves, they have a men’s shed and we’re running a homework centre (not sure if this still operates), they are involved with the community safety committee at council.

today I saw where they were awarded a grant of $188k from the state government to improve the cosmetic look of the area. An excellent example of ABCD in action.

there is a similar committee in east Nowra, who again commenced from crime concerns. They fly solo as well.

i think one of the issues for workers is having patience to see it through and continue to rephrase issues raised into positives or potentials. I know I wanted the worker in sanctuary point to withdraw earlier as it didn’t look to be successful but her patience and determination resulted in lengthy engagement and commitment with long term gains. Two years work and the project still going strong ten years later.

Matt Colombo
Matt Colombo
@matt-colombo
5 years ago
6 posts

Hi, Alan! Thanks very much for taking the time to share further information about Sanctuary Point Community Pride. By perusing their Facebook page, it seems they sure are still up and running! Do you happen to know any of the details of their committee? Is it all volunteer, how does decision making work, etc.? I could also reach out to the organization directly to find out.

When you mention "worker" in your final paragraph, was this someone that was part of your consulting firm or a member of the Sanctuary Point community?

Thanks again!

Matt

Tags