Rural Indigenous Communities

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

I am wondering if people have had experience working with, or maybe a member of, a rural indigenous community and if you have used an ABCD approach.  Do you have some examples? Some stories? 

Allison Lourash
Allison Lourash
@allison-lourash
4 years ago
18 posts

Michael- Yes and Michelle has a recent post somewhere in here too about connecting regarding indigenous communities.

I currently work with 6 tribal communities in Northern Wisconsin supporting a programmatic grant for tribal health centers. I try to utilize ABCD, especially looking at the gifts available. I love hearing about how tribal communities identify gifts and assets rather and how that can influence our work.

-Allison

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

Hi Allison, thanks for responding.  Well, the real work now begins.  The project I have been working to build for the past three months has just had its first-year pilot funded.  We are working with three tribes in the Reno area helping to build intergenerational indigenous food gardens. The pilot garden will be on land within Washoe County but north of the City.  A small hoop house will be adjacent to the garden where seeds and seedlings will be produced for planting, a larger hoop house will be built on tribal land East of the City we hope within a year.  The gardens will have raised beds so people using wheelchairs can work in them. The groups working on the gardens will be intergenerational, children and elders. We are very excited about the gardens, the opportunity to support tribal elders passing down cultural knowledge and wisdom, and supporting healthy diets among everyone.  

Tags