Aging and Villages

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

Within the larger aging movement is a subset of services arranged as villages. Neighbor helping neighbor. Many of the villages are now looking for ways to be more relevant to their larger communities.  The answer is through asset-based practice.

user image

@abcd-in-action
3 years ago
0 posts

Hi Michael - Can you say more about this idea of aging services, village and ABCD? 

Thanks!

Deb

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
3 years ago
11 posts

In the field of aging, Villages are a form of mutual support for older adults.  There are many variations on the theme, but the basic tenet is that people support each other to the best of their ability. Some Villages are entirely voluntary; others have staff. The concept is not unique to the US.  There are Village models in Israel known as Supportive Communities, there is a Dutch example, and another in Germany. There's a national organization of Villages in North America, the US, and Canada, known as the Village to Village Network here's a link https://www.vtvnetwork.org/.  

Barbara George
Barbara George
@barbara-george
2 years ago
1 posts

Michael,

I am in Indianapolis and am very interested in starting a Village within my social community.  I have investigated their model, webpage.  Have you had any success in starting of being invvolved in a Village to Village Network Member?

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
2 years ago
11 posts

Hi Barbara, sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I have been involved with Villages, as a funder, a consultant, a coach, and as a (friendly) critic.  I have not, personally, started a Village, but know many people who have. 

The Village movement is in a moment of evolution. Last Spring I spoke with the Board of the Village to Village Network about their plans for expansion and urged them to use ABCD as their guide. In the Fall, I spoke at one of the plenary sessions of the 2021 Village to Village Network conference with the same message. I also talked about (at the V to V Network Board's request about the foundation funding prospects for a Village.

If you'd like to continue this conversation in detail feel free to write to me at mmarcus@communityresources.guru.

I hope to speak with you soon, stay safe.  Michael 

Tags