Asset mapping in the context of gentrification

Ivis Garcia Zambrana
Ivis Garcia Zambrana
@ivis-garcia-zambrana
3 years ago
6 posts

Hello All, 

I am doing a project for the City with my students about asset mapping in the context of gentrification. The whole idea is trying to preserve community assets (e.g., the bodega, the ethnic restaurant, naturally occurring affordable housing, etc.) 

I am wondering if you have examples of how others have done this or recommendations to the homework guidelines I gave to my students. 

Best, 

John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
3 years ago
50 posts

Hi Ivis. Years ago, before the advent of the mobile phone camera, a friend of mine bought a bunch of disposable cameras and gave them to a group of youth in the neighborhood. She told them to take photos of "good things in their neighborhood." They took photos of people and places that mad them feel safe and welcome. It was a visual asset map of sorts. This exercise demonstrated the ways that a sense of place is related to individual, and shared values. A great follow-up question might be: What would you have liked to take a photo of, but you couldn't because it no longer exists? Ask them if given the same assignment, what do they think elected officials, or real estate developers would take photos of.

Ivis Garcia Zambrana
Ivis Garcia Zambrana
@ivis-garcia-zambrana
3 years ago
6 posts

I like the question you are proposing. I have not thought about a photovoice kind of project. It's a great idea! I could do this next semester. 

I ended up doing a StoryMap mirror after this project: http://www.willowlungamam.com/story-mapping

Fasoranti Damilola
Fasoranti Damilola
@fasoranti-damilola
3 years ago
23 posts
Thank you for sharing the ideas and questions @john-hamerlinck. I should use try out Photovoice with different groups in a community and see what can emerge from it.

I read your story map mirror @ivis-garcia-zambrana and I totally enjoyed it.

How long did it take to do this with your team and what were some learnings you identified doing this?

What other action(s) were you able to (or propose to) use the artifacts to drive or influence?
Ivis Garcia Zambrana
Ivis Garcia Zambrana
@ivis-garcia-zambrana
3 years ago
6 posts

I am still doing the story map. This is taking a whole semester and 42 students working in 21 neighborhoods. In the end, they will interview 22 people per neighborhood, so that is 462 interviews in the whole city. I will post here the final product with some learnings as well. 

Tags