youth and ABCD

Robert Francis
Robert Francis
@robert-francis
12 years ago
2 posts

I am always looking for additional stories, films, articles, etc. where ABCD has involved young people, especially young people who have been marginalized like youth in the juvenile justice system, mental health and substance abuse treatment systems, or homeless youth. I am currently conducting a 3 session webinar for Reclaiming Futures and my last session will be on communities where abycd [y for youth] principles have been applied successfully. I have some stories from where I've worked but always looking for more.

updated by @robert-francis: 04/10/20 03:28:56PM
Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

There might be some on the video page of ABCD in Action. I haven't looked lately, but I seem to recall something...

Hope you are well...

April Doner
April Doner
@april-doner
12 years ago
54 posts

hi Robert,

How have you been?

Here's a story I just came across on this Ning regarding youth -- not sure if you saw it?

http://abcdinaction.ning.com/forum/topics/needs-versus-seeds?xg_source=facebookshare

-A

April Doner
April Doner
@april-doner
12 years ago
54 posts

hey again :)

just came across this as I perused the Abundant Community site...

http://www.abundantcommunity.com/home/posts/friends/parms/1/post/20120502_beyond_skate_parks_transforming_communities_with_teens.html

-A

April Doner
April Doner
@april-doner
12 years ago
54 posts

and... here, you spurred me to write a story! I plan to add some photos later and make a blog. Thanks!!!!

How Victor Jr. Outdid Me

last year, i was painting a door with other people as part of a local world cafe project celebrating community. We were set up outside my house, on the side of the shady driveway several houses share to get in and out from the main road. (We are located in Gillespie Park neighborhood in Sarasota, FL)

As we worked, a little boy and his dad began walking by.We greeted them and exchanged introductions--their names were Victor and Victor (Senior and Junior). The boy, round-faced with bright eyes and bouncy long black curls, asked us with urgent curiosity-- "What are you doing?"
When we explained we're doing an art project, his eyes lit up. We soon learned he loves art. So we invited him to contribute to the door. He drew a big heart in black paint, and a person, and the words "I love you" in one pane of the door. It added so much to our collective artpiece!
I mentioned to Victor Jr. that day that I was so glad to meet him, because I'm interested in meeting other artists in the neighborhood. My interest stems from my work in ABCD and my current goal to create strong creative bonds between people within my neighborhood.
I had no reason to imagine that this meant anything to Victor, but about a year later, he surprised me. One day I was walking down same driveway with my friend Zach, and I heard someone call my name. It was Victor, running out excitedly to catch me. "April April! I have something to tell you!"

"What is it, Victor?"

"You remember how you told me you want to meet other artists in your neighborhood? Well I met one the other day! He lives just down the street over here. Come on I want to introduce you to him!"

He ran ahead down the other end of the driveway, and Zach and I had no choice but to follow. We got a few yards down the street when we heard someone calling Victor--it was his sister, asking where he was going and telling him he had to go home right now. "OK!" He called back. Then turned back to us. "Well, I gotta go home now. But he lives right down there-- you see the white house with the porch? Yeah that one. Just go down there and knock on the door, I know he'll be happy to meet you!"
Victor is about 8. He's one of the only people I've met who seems even less nervous about stepping across the general taboos surrounding neighbor-meeting than me... I was astounded and touched that he remembered what I said to him, literally about a year ago, and took action to help me with my own goal.
This was a powerful reminder never to forget how kids and youth are way more aware, capable, and ready to act for community improvement (and adventure) than we usually give them credit for.
Jennifer Hirsch
Jennifer Hirsch
@jennifer-hirsch
12 years ago
11 posts

Hi Robert,

We just finished a 2-year project on community-based climate action involving 4 neighborhoods, and a lot of the work was led by and focused on youth. The project is called Chicago Community Climate Action Toolkit. Look especially at the community pages onForest Glen and South Chicago. I particularly like therain barrel video that a Boy Scout from Forest Glen made all on his own. Also note that the South Chicago South East Green Gallery video was produced by youth. Finally, you might be interested in taking a look at the Youth Development climate action model page. This page highlights the different ways in which climate action can promote youth development as a "co-benefit," building on the strengths of youth and youth programs that already exist in communities.

Maya Cross
Maya Cross
@maya-cross
4 years ago
3 posts

Hi Fellow ABCD practitioners!

I am in search of a resources on how to get youth to participate in ABCD. How do we teach asset mapping to youth, how to conduct appreciative inquiries, and how to understand the importance of relationships and process over outcome? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
4 years ago
24 posts

Most of our ABCD work engages youth in the asset mapping process.  We have a playlist on our youtube channel that has all our youth related video's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrDnyD5XuZw&list=PLAurA3KWWAgWKZgPzPsmAGb_7U2zVf8QL .  There are a few video's we have done that might be helpful. In particular the Broadwater story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrZTfZY9rto&list=PLAurA3KWWAgWKZgPzPsmAGb_7U2zVf8QL&index=15.

We have a virtual training for youth development organizations. In the fall we are working with a local school district to create a virtual version of our training for students.  We have a virtual version for the adult leaders but not a student version since pre covid 19 that was done live.  In the fall, we are going to do a student learning cohort through a virtual classroom setting if all goes as planned. We are still trying to figure out what this would look like post covid 19. 

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
4 years ago
24 posts

In addition to engaging youth in asset mapping we have also engaged them in an oral history project.  You can learn more about that project here: https://embracecommunities.org/node/61.  In this project the youth interviewed seniors, captured stories, learned the history of thier neighborhood, helped write and performed in a play, wrote a song, recorded it professionally and produced a music video and performed it all live.  It was a two year project and probably one of the most powerful ways I have seen youth engage. 

Allison Lourash
Allison Lourash
@allison-lourash
4 years ago
18 posts

Found this while cleaning out my bookmarks

Tugela Pre-Vocational School uses ABCD process to see entrepreneurial opportunities

https://northernnatalnews.co.za/239686/using-abcd-to-see-entrepreneurial-opportunities#.W3uRv8f7S00.facebook

Allison Lourash
Allison Lourash
@allison-lourash
3 years ago
18 posts

This popped up in my alerts today

Assets Perspective on Exploring the Path of Children's Social Development A case study of the T Community "doll court" Project

ABSTRACT. Communities are the main environment in which children live. Community assets may affect children’s social development. However, there are still relatively few studies on how community assets, especially community legal assets, affect children’s social development. Therefore, this research analyzes how the T community "Doll Court" project excavated community legal assets and other community assets to achieve the purpose of promoting children's social development, and discussed the path of children's social development from the asset-oriented perspective.

https://francis-press.com/uploads/papers/CgDl6ajT8cXEJodtm9nzzlvOFoeDsBGUyl54bOtq.pdf

Tags