Anyone know resources laying out types of community involvement?

Jennifer Hirsch
Jennifer Hirsch
@jennifer-hirsch
11 years ago
11 posts

I am about to start teaching a course on community engagement and am looking for a list or graphic showing the different types of community involvement (e.g., philanthropy, direct action, education, community organizing, cultural activities, etc.).

Does anyone know of any good resources along these lines?

Thanks,

Jenny

updated by @jennifer-hirsch: 10/26/16 03:23:46PM
April Doner
April Doner
@april-doner
11 years ago
54 posts

Have you come across anything good yet Jennifer? I'm still thinking on it but don't have much to offer...

user image

@dee-brooks
11 years ago
0 posts

Hi Jennifer,

I saw April's post on Facebook about your question...

I am the Facilitator of the ABCD Asia Pacific Network and I periodically teach an undergrad Community Engagement course through the Family Action Centre located at the University of Newcastle, Australia...

Have you looked at iap2; http://www.iap2.org/ - they are full of great resources!

When I'm back at work next, I'll have a look through my teaching resources and get back to you!

Regards,

Dee Brooks...

Jennifer Hirsch
Jennifer Hirsch
@jennifer-hirsch
11 years ago
11 posts

Thanks Dee, this looks great!

April Doner
April Doner
@april-doner
11 years ago
54 posts

(yay!!!)

Conner Kees
Conner Kees
@conner-kees
11 years ago
2 posts

Some sort of web for this kind of thing would be nice! I'm seeing these things as so closely connected. Education IS community organization... which SHOULD BE a cultural experience that EMPOWERS and ENCOURAGES direct and intentional action in one's local and global environment. How do you define these types of community involvement? And how did you land a job like that? Sounds awesome! Congrats Jenny! :)

Blessings,
Conner

Rebekah Seidel
Rebekah Seidel
@rebekah-seidel
11 years ago
1 posts

yes, the IAP2 resources are a good place to start. their participation continuum is a good tool to use for exploring/discussing what are the kinds of community participation and where are they best used. another tool I ran across recently is done by Bang the Table, and called the engagement continuum: http://bangthetable.com/2012/02/17/the-engagement-continuum

good luck!

Jennifer Hirsch
Jennifer Hirsch
@jennifer-hirsch
11 years ago
11 posts

Thank you Rebekah! These are great resources, and I am using some of them as examples to show my students the types of products they might be interested in creating themselves based on their experiences. Super helpful.

Bill Knight
Bill Knight
@bill-knight
11 years ago
3 posts

Hi Jenny

This attachment (if it attaches)may not be what you want.....but I have always found it useful...a Participation Typology....helps people describe just how (much) they are participating.

Bill Knight

user image

@dee-brooks
11 years ago
0 posts

Thanks for sharing that, Bill! I had forgotten about that one!

I've attached the whole document here, Jennifer, as well as the iap2 State report from NSW, Australia which you might find some 'gold' in...

Yes, Rebekah! Bang the Table are fantastic - great link!!!

I'd love to know how you use these, Jennifer and if they are useful to students...

Regards,

Dee...

Tags