ABCD in Technology/Infrastructure?

Lauren M Butler
Lauren M Butler
@lauren-m-butler
11 years ago
4 posts

Asset-based approaches are most often used in organizational, education, economical, or public health development, for example. However, developing a community's technology and infrastructure is also important, but most engineering development is still very needs-based. It's the community's needs being assessed and then matched with the resources held by outsiders.

Anyone know of organizations, people, literature that applies Asset-Based approaches to Engineering Development (ABED if I may)? There are certainly specific challenges of using ABCD for technology and infrastructure projects, but also specific opportunities. Some opportunities:

-I've found that doing an asset-based assessment in the front end of the project really helps, because when engineers come into a community asking about project needs the community's expectations shoot through the roof!

-Also, the effect of an asset-based approach on a program/project's sustainability canespecially be seen in engineering projects, because the use/non-use of local resources determines how long a physical structure will be in place and operating.

Some specific challenges:

-The best "engineering" option is usually not the best ABCD option (though theoretically, the best engineering option should take into account the whole context)

-Outside resources are often necessary. Designing a bridge should be done by a structural engineer. The way I rationalize this is that the long-term goal when it comes to technology and infrastructure is not necessarily self-sufficient communities; very few neighborhoods in more developed countries maintain their own water and electricity systems. Depending on your political view, this is the role of thegovernment.

Therefore, these technology and infrastructure projects might bring in outside resources, but should create a stronger, permanent connection between the community and those outside resources like a county technician, a water pump supplier/repairer in the nearest city, and government funds available for infrastructure projects.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts, even from those not directly involved in this field. What other challenges/opportunities might I run into? What Asset-Based tools/mindsets have I not mentioned that could be helpful to these types of projects? What might it look like to use ABCD in things like community sanitation improvement? Road and building repairs? Energy provision? Water technology innovation?

In your opinion, is "Appropriate Technology" an asset-based approach?

updated by @lauren-m-butler: 10/24/16 06:19:00PM
Lauren M Butler
Lauren M Butler
@lauren-m-butler
11 years ago
4 posts

Sorry for starting with an essay :)

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
11 years ago
140 posts

Hi Lauren -

You may want to check out the Technology & Communities group. There's also a separate discussionthat was started on this topic (outside of the group) that's rather long but has lots of interesting info.

I would encourage you to join the group and repost your question there... It's a great group of folks that I'm sure would join you in this discussion. This group is not looking at technology as broadly as you seem to be (more focused on the virtual environment) but it might be a good place to start.

Lauren M Butler
Lauren M Butler
@lauren-m-butler
11 years ago
4 posts

Hi Deb, thank you for the suggestion! As you said, they seem to focus more on the use of information technology to enhance community development. I'm looking at how to actually enhance the technology using asset-based methods, and not electronic technology but rather infrastucture and technology that increases access to basic life necessities. But just because the conversation on that group hasn't gone there yet doesn't mean it can't! :) I will try posting there as well, thank you.

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
11 years ago
140 posts

sounds great, Lauren... Looking forward to interesting conversations....

Ian Cunningham
Ian Cunningham
@ian-cunningham
8 years ago
11 posts

You have raised lots of interesting points within your post

"these technology and infrastructure projects might bring in outside resources, but should create a stronger, permanent connection between the community and those outside resources like a county technician, a water pump supplier/repairer in the nearest city, and government funds available for infrastructure projects."

I have been reading a colleagues PhD thesis on Citizen Voice and ABCD/strength based approaches, it taught me quite a lot on how ABCD/SBA can be integrated into working with service providers, reducing conflict and helping collaboration between a 'community' and those who have a role to support them.

(http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/research/handle/10453/21817)

In reflection, when I used ABCD for an extended period the partnership neglected integration with government. The water users group certainly accessed suppliers (who provided materials and technical advice) but collaborated minimally with the government. A large reason was because the community water user group had bad experience with government projects in the past, they wanted this to be "theirs".

Looking for local assets (local materials, local expertise) has practical, economic and resilience benefits. A supplier 2 hours away as was the case in this instance is possibly bordering "outside resources" but was also a huge asset. I was also an "outside asset" in a sense I was working with them for a defined period and the water user group did utilise me for technical advice.

In grappling with similar questions to you, my mantra was: are those implementing the project (the community water user group) accessing and utilising these external resources from a standpoint of power? Or in turning to external aid were they forgoing their power and ability to self-determine their future.

Tags