Advice needed!

Heather Woods
Heather Woods
@heather-woods
11 years ago
4 posts

What is the best way to introduce ABCD to a community which is not geographical, but issue based? Also, trying to convince clinicians that ABCD is the way forward for the development of support groups for the organisation. How do we do this?

updated by @heather-woods: 10/24/16 04:45:35PM
April Doner
April Doner
@april-doner
11 years ago
54 posts

Hi Heather,
That's a really good question, thanks for bringing it up!

Personally, I think it's always important for people to try to meet face-to-face... there's an ingredient of community and connectedness that happens when they do which I think it's hard to replace. So, I'd suggest finding any way possible to have folks get together regionally if at all possible.

That said, some ways that come to mind in which you might introduce ABCD are...
> Share your own passion and story with ABCD--how did you encounter it, why does it inspire or excite you, and how could you see it contributing to what you all are trying to do together?

> See who responds with the most excitement or energy and bring them together in some way to connect with each other and discuss your question. Especially, try to practice ABCD all the time... ie. when you meet, make sure there's time for people to connect as whole people, not just their role or persona as it relates to the group or organization. For example, you could start with a gifts question, or simply checking in about how everyone is doing, etc.

> Also think about who you already know within the group who is "doing ABCD"--they may not call it that, but you can recognize it. Who is being inclusive of people? Who is helping build relationships? Who is bringing to light the assets already within the community and finding creative ways to use them? Then try and see how you can support and celebrate those people or projects. Ask, "where is this already happening?"

> Along that vein and the one above, think especially about "Who are the connectors?" Bring them together, celebrate each of them and get to know each other, and see what comes out of that conversation.

As far as clinicians, I'll have to think about that... !

Was this helpful at all?

~ April

keith kelley
keith kelley
@keith-kelley
11 years ago
11 posts

hi heather -

just a couple of thoughts: if you are a member of this group, you might want to think about just practicing ABCD on sme aspect that is really important to you for a while within the group...when you feel the need for help with what you are doing....ask for help and, there...with someone willing to help you, the sharing of ABCD begins.

i'm feeling that, sometimes, this is more an organic rather than linear or circular process..

clinicians.....i'm with april on this.....but, i'd focus on getting to know them and listen for hints from someone who wants more.....whether it be success with clients or sense of support or exceeding clinical limitations...there may be space for a conversation in there somewhere.

be well

Mary Kay Delvo
Mary Kay Delvo
@mary-kay-delvo
11 years ago
3 posts

I don't have the answer for you but am very interested in your question and the application. I will give this more thought and hope others with ideas chime in here.

Heather Woods
Heather Woods
@heather-woods
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks April!

A group of people (geographical group) has been highlighted to me as a possible starting group to develop ABCD within the organisation. I will be meeting them next week. How do I manage the first meeting? The group itself is made up of people who have been supported through their own cancer experience by the organisation and now wish, as a group, to move on to becoming a support group.

Heather Woods
Heather Woods
@heather-woods
11 years ago
4 posts

thanks Keith

see above reply to April. We have moved on from my initial question and we now have a geographical group, which I suspect might be easier to start with?

Heather Woods
Heather Woods
@heather-woods
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks Mary Kay!

Ron Dwyer-Voss
Ron Dwyer-Voss
@ron-dwyer-voss
11 years ago
48 posts

I like to start groups with some discussion about what they want out of the group experience. Regular support? Ideas? Social experience? Opportunity to meet with clinicians? researchers?

Once the group agrees on why they want to gather it is important to ask an "ownership question." This can be an offering of assets: what do each of us bring to the group? what are our strengths and experiences? and "what are you willing to do to have the experience you want and help the group succeed?" The last one, or something like it, is important to distinguish between our ideas for what the group and others should be/do and what "I am willing and planning" to be/do in this group.

Then, once the goals, assets, and ownership are in place ask "what next?" Where do we want to start. This is so much more exciting and interesting than listing problems and complaints and then discussing what problem do we want to tackle first.

Let us know what you do and how it goes!

Tags