Getting renters more engaged

Joshua Hugg
Joshua Hugg
@joshua-hugg
10 years ago
1 posts

Hi all,

I wanted to find out anyone has had experience getting renters more involved in day to day issues in their community. Unlike San Francisco, Silicon Valley is largely a suburban area where home owners and their needs dominate the political landscape. Renters have been traditionally sat on the sidelines as issues about their community have been decided for them. They are, in effect, a 2nd class segment of our community.

I know renters are pegged as transient , however many aspire to have the advantages of home ownership - building equity, intergenerational wealth, tax write-offs, and most importantly a "piece of the community." In our area, renters are the fastest growing segment of the community as communities try to respond to our sky-high home prices and insatiable demand.

Does anyone have experience getting these folks more involved? Beyond the politics driven by community engagement it seems like we have a huge hole in our overall community dialog.

Any feedback appreciated.

Josh

updated by @joshua-hugg: 10/29/16 07:42:56AM
Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
10 years ago
140 posts

You might want to check out this report... I found it very interesting.

Resident-Centered Community Building.

Dan Duncan
Dan Duncan
@dan-duncan
10 years ago
12 posts

You can still ask them to share their gifts based on their passion in the neighborhood they live in.

Tags