ABCD and ethno-cultural communities

Carola Ramos
Carola Ramos
@carola-ramos
10 years ago
4 posts

Id like to hear some thoughts about using the ABCD model when working with ethno-cultural community groups.

Ethno-cultural community associations have a significant cultural component, as they organize events and activities to raise awareness and promote their arts and culture; but they also represent an important source of relationships with individuals, organizations and institutions, which in turn could contribute to helping new immigrants to settle in town and finding meaningful employment (particularly in a medium-size city like Kingston that has only about 11% immigrant pop.).

I aim to apply ABCD principles in a cultural mapping exercise of ECC groups in Kingston. Besides showcasing their cultural activities and resources, these groups will be able leverage their networks in a way that has not yet been explored.

Thank you.

Carola

updated by @carola-ramos: 10/24/16 04:45:35PM
Ron Dwyer-Voss
Ron Dwyer-Voss
@ron-dwyer-voss
10 years ago
48 posts

This is Great!

Many of us on the ABCD Faculty began including "Cuture and Stories" as a primary asset area quite a while ago. The traditional five areas of a community's assets are: Individuals, Associations, Institutions, Economy and Physical areas. Add ing Culture and Stories has been very powerful in my experience, primarily because of the relationships, history and skills/gifts that are linked to cultural experiences.

What will your cultural mapping exercise look like?

Carola Ramos
Carola Ramos
@carola-ramos
10 years ago
4 posts

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your response. I am trying to design some sort of asset-based community mapping demo project within the Latino community association in Kingston, as it is the one I know more closely. I aim to combineABCD principles, withan adjusted version of the Cultural Resources Framework (*)that Ontario municipalities have been using when doing cultural mapping, as part of their processes of cultural planning. Here is what I think (so far) could be mapped:

1stblock (based on the Cultural Resources Framework): Cultural workers[artists, entrepreneurs]; events & festivals; meeting space; intangible resources[language instruction; stories].

2ndblock: Cultural businesses, Kingston Latino Association (a non-profit org.)

3rdblock: Institutions and other organizations KL deal with, i.e.: settlement agency, Municipality, sponsors, providers, and others.

I believe a community map is a way to tell the story of an ethno-cultural group through a map. The mapwill serve as a tool for leveraging the value and resources of these communities, increase awareness about diversity in the city, while fostering community engagement within the groups. Moreover, the analysis of relationships would allow the participants to envision new opportunities of collaborative projects, leveraging KL associations networks.

I was thinking that using the ESRI Story Map web application would be ideal, but I do not own ArcGis. Do you (or anybody else) know of any other open source to build a story map? (besides google maps).

Many thanks,

Carola

P.S.- (*) I tried to send the file, but it seems is too big.

The mentioned Cultural Resources Framework contains categories of cultural assets to be mapped, such as: cultural industries, cultural occupations, community cultural organizations, cultural facilities/spaces, natural heritage, cultural heritage, events & festivals, and intangible culture.

Source: Ontario Municipal Cultural Planning Inc. (2010)."Cultural Resource Mapping: A Guide for Municipalities".

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
10 years ago
140 posts

Is the document you wanted to post? We can include the URL here so people can find it and read or download it themselves.

Cultural Resource Mapping: A Guide for Municipalities

Mac Johnson
Mac Johnson
@mac-johnson
10 years ago
16 posts

I love the homemade "popular instrument," its local music and its cultural use (e.g., "parading" about) in ABCD engagement:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1r_h9GeV2Q

(Stories of ABCD practice in Australia, with instrumental video sound track.)

Carola Ramos
Carola Ramos
@carola-ramos
10 years ago
4 posts

Yes, thank you, for the link Deb! The ontariomcp.ca website (where the link comes from) does not seem to work though.

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
10 years ago
140 posts

Try this one... it worked for me:http://www.ontariomcp.caIs this the page you were trying to open?

Carola Ramos
Carola Ramos
@carola-ramos
10 years ago
4 posts

I'm glad to hear it works. For some reason, every time I try to access that page lately, I always get a warning of a virus threat and can't access it (that's why I was avoiding to share the link here). Now it looks like the page works for others, that's great then. Thanks, Deb.

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
10 years ago
140 posts

So glad you told us about this website/tool... I look forward to digging a little deeper into it. Thanks, Carola.

Tags