Asset Maps

James Hampson
James Hampson
@james-hampson
9 years ago
2 posts

Hello ABCD Fellows,

|I've got a question about Asset Maps. Once you've completed an asset mapping exercise how do you share that with the community?

Do you use any specific online tools? We've used google maps but the updates have made this a little temperamental for wider use and limits the possibility of crowd sourcing updates from the community

Do you have a physical map? How is this shared with the whole community?

We're looking for a simple mapping tool that can easily be shared and updated between everyone in the community? Any Ideas :-)

updated by @james-hampson: 10/24/16 07:43:22PM
John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
9 years ago
50 posts

Hi James. Depending at what scale you are defining community, I am not convinced that a comprehensive, community-wide asset map is an effective exercise from a strategic point of view. I prefer starting with identifying multiple goals that folks are committed to achieving, and then mapping, connecting, and mobilizing the assets of smaller groups of stakeholders to achieve specific outcomes. Maps change constantly, so an archived document will lose value even with periodic updating.

Dan Duncan
Dan Duncan
@dan-duncan
8 years ago
12 posts

James, sorry so long in responding.

I would suggest that asset mapping must be done by community members themselves, so it is shared through personal connections. From my perspective asset mapping is a process of Identifying people's gifts and passions, asking them to share their gifts with their neighbors based on their passions and connecting people with the same passions to act collectively.

For you information here is a link to myAsset Mapping Toolkit.

James Hampson
James Hampson
@james-hampson
8 years ago
2 posts

Thanks Dan,

I possibly haven't been very clear in my description. We are working with community members to identify and connect individuals gifts and passions as well as those of associations and institutions.

My question is is there a tool that can be used to easily view and share the information we collect? Similar to the diagrams in your tool kit where assets are identified by dots on a map of the neighbourhood, I'm looking for an online tool that communities can use to collect and identify the assets they find and share that easily? Does that make more sense?

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
8 years ago
140 posts

Hi James -

I'm not aware of a one-size-fits-all tool that can share all of a community's asset online. So here are some random thoughts....

The first thing that comes to mind for sharing individual gifts and talents is timebank. That would rely on individuals to each sign up and share their individual gifts and talents.

There are some other online social networking kind of spaces, such as NextDoor.

You can look through some of these discussionsto see if there's something here that might fit what you're looking for...

I seem to recall hearing about someone else who is thinking about this, but I can't recall who that is... If I remember who that is, I'll let you know... (sorry, that's not much help, is it? LOL)

Ron Dwyer-Voss
Ron Dwyer-Voss
@ron-dwyer-voss
8 years ago
48 posts

Hi James,

The best I have seen for your purposes is Google Maps. As you have pointed out, that has limits. BatchGeo works well too. I like Google because you can use a variety of icons to represent individuals, associations and institutions. Batchgeo on the other hand has a more attractive and simpler output. Google Maps is a little easier to crowdsource, but you have to share login, etc.

Ron

Pat Kennedy
Pat Kennedy
@pat-kennedy
8 years ago
1 posts

Hi, I am looking to build a phone app which can help communities undertake an asset audit of their area. I am dividing the concept of community development into categories and subcategories and then I wish to have a list of associated assets that people should watching out for. Does anyone know where I might find a suggested list of community "assets". Thanks

updated by @pat-kennedy: 11/02/16 03:03:59PM
John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
8 years ago
50 posts

Pat, go to the ABCD Institute website and see the "asset mapping tools" section of the Tool Kit http://www.abcdinstitute.org/toolkit/index.html

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
7 years ago
24 posts
Great question James.  We have used both google maps and Batchgeo.  As you and others noted, this is not the ideal solution.  We also use a physical map with color coded sticky dots. It works well as a visual but not so good for actual organizing. We tend to resort to good old fashioned excell spreadsheets.  I have a client in Texas who has a very expensive software program that they claim will do what you are looking to do but it far exceeds my budget.  When I go to do training there later this year, I will check it out and report back. 
updated by @wendy-mccaig: 09/01/17 06:22:56PM
Howard Lawrence
Howard Lawrence
@howard-lawrence
6 years ago
2 posts

Hi all. We have developed two data bases for neighbourhoods to use.

1. Common Good: Collects and makes useable neighbours demographic and contact information and their answers to three questions: 1. Vision for the neighbourhood? 2. Pastimes or interests you would like to share with neighbours? 3. Gifts, Skills or experiences that you would share with your block or the neighbourhood? * Can you assist (Teach, Lead, or Organize) in any of these?

2. Proche: Collects and makes useable the Circles (Groups) and Triangles (Organizations) of the neighbourhood.

Both of these are intended to be used and made public through the Neighbourhoods Web-site.

The information given is not confidential but is guarded by neighbourhood leadership.

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
6 years ago
24 posts

My client in Corpus Christi Texas is using Maptive.  Has anyone else used that tool?

Tags