Using Life-Coaching in ABCD

Damara Miller
Damara Miller
@damara-miller
8 years ago
1 posts

Hi! I am new to the ABCD conversation and have lots of questions for you. I am excited to get more involved and learn from those of you who have researched academically AND who have personal experiences with ABCD. I appreciate all feedback, direction toward resources, and more questions in response!

Here is my first question... is there a practical benefit to applying a Coaching mentality to the ABCD approach? I derive my definition of Coaching from the Life-Coaching principle that helps individuals to identify their own goals, passions, gifts, etc. and discover their own ability to recognize and achieve these goals. The flip side of this is helping individuals to identify both specific internal and external obstacles that present themselves as they move toward thier goals. Both ABCD and Coaching have such a core similarity of facilitating self-discovery and empowerment, that I imagine a more direct link would be highly beneficial.

However, what would that role be exactly? I believe coaching is generally most effective in a continued ongoing relationship. However, how could that look with ABCD's emphasis on development coming from within the community and happening organically?

I can imagine so many creative ways but I don't have the experience to have all the information about what is practical, feasible or wise. What about teaching coaching skills to community connectors and influencers? Those people can then intentionally use and teach these skills to other connectors. In this way relying on the already established relationship between community connectors and community members.

Has ABCD been using this Coaching approach without specifically using the Coaching language?

I know this is a big question. I have many more aspects about this that I am curious about but I don't want to jam it all into one post. I'd rather leave room for creativity, nuance, questions, etc.

Thanks!

updated by @damara-miller: 10/24/16 04:45:35PM
John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
8 years ago
50 posts

Hi Damara. The "coaching" that you describe seems to be focused on the self-actualization of the individual. It would be possible to be surrounded by a whole bunch of self-confident, self-reflexive people, and have little or no community development. For me, ABCD has always been about community organizing, and collaborative leadership. Sure, sometimes you need a bit prodding or appreciative inquiry to uncover assets, but the endeavor is ultimately about relationships between people who decide to act together.

Tags