What is your current ABCD context and what is your interest in connecting faith communities to ABCD?

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
9 years ago
24 posts

As a trained minister who works in the context of under-resourced communities, I have spent the past ten years trying to build pathways that lead to healthier engagement between church and community. I am hoping this forum will allow those of us who are connecting with faith communities through our ABCD efforts to share ideas and learn from one another.

updated by @wendy-mccaig: 10/25/16 02:05:46PM
Sharon West
Sharon West
@sharon-west
9 years ago
4 posts

Children of God Body of Christ has been sometimes successful but other times very unsuccessful. What is it you want to know? Do you want to share stories? Do you have ideas you want to kick around?

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
9 years ago
24 posts

Sharon,

I would like to gather the stories of how faith communities are engaging in ABCD work and what others have found to be most helpful in equipping congregations to do this work. Last year we developed a training for churches called "Mission Shift" and have taken about 100 church leaders through the process. We are now coaching 4 churches in how to shift their missions approach from relief to development. I would love to know if others are doing similar work and what they have found most helpful and most challenging.

Thank you for your response.

Sharon West
Sharon West
@sharon-west
9 years ago
4 posts

Hello Wendy,

You are way out of my league. We have only two churches that we did workshops at and have found the churches to be very receptive but the individual leaders to be very apprehensive. They seem to feel that doing anything that is out of the ordinary is too much. They can't seem to get pass "what we did in the past" I have read about some successful churches but have not experienced this yet. We also started a webinar series only to have three church leaders to attend the first one and the attendance dropped to one on the second webinar. So pat your self on the back you are doing a grand.

Here is something I think would interest you:

Reply by Mac Johnson 10 hours ago

Thinking about ABCD in faith community building, I appreciate the pastoral work of Mike Mather and DeAmon Harges. They have worked as pastoral ministers from Broadway United Methodist Church, in urban Indianapolis. Two videos describe their fruitful approach and interesting results:

1.) http://bit.ly/1O5ec46 (YouTube): Making the invisible visible |DeAmon Harges | TEDxIndianapolis (0:10:30)

2.) http://www.abundantcommunity.com/home/authors/parms/1/which/mike_ma... (Abundant Community website) Follow link tovideo of Mike describing ABCD engagement uncovering "Adelita's Gift" (0:04:29). This ABCD pastoral accompaniment resulted in self-employment growing into a developed small business. This is also know as "Smart Network Weaving."

Such ABCD for self-employment and small-business development is also illustrated in Ohio in the work of Appalachian Community Economic Networks (AceNet). See a third, longer video:

a.) AceNet's former Dir. June Holley, in akeynote conference address to the Center for Small Towns (YouTube, 0:30:56) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V86KoCtLmo

b.) June's Network Weaving Handbook describes this community development approach: http://www.networkweaver.com

Also here is a discussion on Connect/Share>Conversations:

Reply by D Michael Blackie on July 29, 2015 at 3:40pm

Are any of your ABCD practicing groups members or affiliated with ccda.org member organizations?

Are there churches that operate 501 (c) (3) "Community Development Corporations" as a part of 'Urban Ministry'?

Permalink Reply by Mesfin Kebede Retta on August 14, 2015 at 5:02am

Dear D Michale Blackie,

Thank you for your interest in my subject matter - ABCD for Pastorals.

None of our ABCD practicing groups members or affiliated with ccda.org member organizations.

However, I am keen to learn about this partnership for future collaboration in promoting ABCD and other development endeavors.

Regards,

Permalink Reply by D Michael Blackie on August 14, 2015 at 8:39am

Greetings Brother ABCD Practitioner!

Thank you for your response. There's a treasure of information about CCDA on their website, ccda.org and many, many books (ebooks as well) about using ABCD in "Christian" communities. CCDA practices the elements of ABCD as well.

The foundations of CCDA come from the work of (Dr.) John M. Perkins, and his living and pastoring in the poorest Americans at the time in the state of Mississippi. (In the 1960's era).

Here, In Philadelphia (PA, USA) A group in the city aligned with the Mennonite Church runs a successful community center and programs. http://occcda.org

I hope you and others find this helpful.

Serving In The City,

D. Michael Blackie, Organizer/Facilitator

ONE Feltonville

Follow on Twitter: @GoWestYoungMan1 #ONEFeltonville #ABCD

However, you have inspired me to get back on the horse and keep trying Churches need ABCD training.

Tags