ABCD and Grandparents

Amber Kelly
Amber Kelly
@amber-kelly
5 years ago
1 posts

Has anyone used ABCD to work with grandparents?  Please share any stories or resources 

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

Thanks for asking Amber. I am not sure what you are asking about when you refer to whether anyone has used ABCD to work with grandparents.  My fellow Faculty member John Migliaccio and I have focused most of our ABCD work on older adults. So it is safe to assume that we have worked with a lot of grandparents. As it happens I am about to launch a national effort focused on food as a vehicle for building intergenerational communities, which, again, I assume means some of those we work with will be grandparents (see the attached file). Probably the best national organization working specifically with grandparents, within an intergenerational context, is Generations United, a DC-based organization which brings together both organizations focused on and advocating with and for children (Children's Defense Fund, Child Welfare League, among many others) and organizations focused on and advocating with and for older adults (National Council on Aging, American Society on Aging, among many others). Generations United just released their Annual Grandfamilies Report https://www.gu.org/explore-our-topics/grandfamilies/state-of-grandfamilies-in-america-annual-reports/. Let me know if this answers your questions, or you needed something more specific. 

Stan Rowland
Stan Rowland
@stan-rowland
4 years ago
3 posts

I would like to learn more by working with grandparents as a great grandparent. 

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

[quote="Stan Rowland"]

I would like to learn more by working with grandparents as a great grandparent. 

[/quote]

I am sorry to lose this thread, please forgive me. One of the best places to see, or find, information about grandparenting is at grandfamilies.org.  Or to go to Generations United, gu.org. Good luck!

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

Consultants for Community Resources is working with the Center for Healthy Aging and Generations United on a project which seeks to help intergenerational groups of Native people develop indigenous food gardens in Reno Nevada.  Watch this spot for more information.  

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
4 years ago
11 posts

This week we began working with Crop Corps, a Florida organization, focused on creating intergenerational healthy eating opportunities using local agriculture focused on Southern food to bring together older adults and kids.  Has anyone out there done work with Southern agriculture?

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
3 years ago
11 posts

About 8% of the world's older adult population (over 65) has dementia. This means that in every community there is likely to be someone you know, or know of, with dementia. That said, what would a dementia-friendly community look like?

updated by @michael-marcus: 05/13/21 11:18:02AM
Shayne Betts
Shayne Betts
@shayne-betts
3 years ago
6 posts

[quote="Michael Marcus"]

This week we began working with Crop Corps, a Florida organization, focused on creating intergenerational healthy eating opportunities using local agriculture focused on Southern food to bring together older adults and kids.  Has anyone out there done work with Southern agriculture?

[/quote]

Good evening Michael,

I have not done any work specifically with Southern agriculture but I live in the Florida panhandle and would like to hear more about the Crop Crops program that your referring to. 
Thank you

Shayne Betts
Shayne Betts
@shayne-betts
3 years ago
6 posts

[quote="Michael Marcus"]

About 8% of the world's population has dementia. This means that in every community there is likely to be someone you know, or know of, with dementia. That said, what would a dementia-friendly community look like?

[/quote]

Excellent question. I just took on the position of Director of our local Council on Aging {Feb. 2020} and hope to have some community discussions focusing on that specific topic. COVID has taken our teams focus over the last year and we are ready to move the conversation to things of this kind also. 

Shayne Betts
Shayne Betts
@shayne-betts
3 years ago
6 posts

[quote="Michael Marcus"]

Thanks for asking Amber. I am not sure what you are asking about when you refer to whether anyone has used ABCD to work with grandparents.  My fellow Faculty member John Migliaccio and I have focused most of our ABCD work on older adults. So it is safe to assume that we have worked with a lot of grandparents. As it happens I am about to launch a national effort focused on food as a vehicle for building intergenerational communities, which, again, I assume means some of those we work with will be grandparents (see the attached file). Probably the best national organization working specifically with grandparents, within an intergenerational context, is Generations United, a DC-based organization which brings together both organizations focused on and advocating with and for children (Children's Defense Fund, Child Welfare League, among many others) and organizations focused on and advocating with and for older adults (National Council on Aging, American Society on Aging, among many others). Generations United just released their Annual Grandfamilies Report https://www.gu.org/explore-our-topics/grandfamilies/state-of-grandfamilies-in-america-annual-reports/. Let me know if this answers your questions, or you needed something more specific. 

[/quote]

Excellent Resources thank you for sharing checking them out now.

Michael Marcus
Michael Marcus
@michael-marcus
3 years ago
11 posts

Hi Shayne, you are welcome. 

By the way, I just reread what you quoted.  It is not 8% of the world's population, I meant 8% of the world's older adult population (over 65) has dementia (according to Alzheimer's Disease International, a WHO affiliated organization).  That said, it is still likely that almost everyone knows, or knows of, someone with dementia.  

Tags