Sara Axtell
Sara Axtell
@sara-axtell
8 years ago
4 posts

Hello, all. I was recalling that when thinking about the kinds of assets community institutions can contribute to community development efforts, space for community convenings is high on the list. I am at University of Minnesota, and am working with a community organization that is interested in exploring shared use agreements around community use of university space. Does anyone know of any models of those kinds of agreements between communities and their universities? Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.

updated by @sara-axtell: 10/25/16 01:27:32PM
David Week
David Week
@david-week
8 years ago
4 posts

Hi Sara

This article might give you some leads:http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/04/playgrounds-for-all/480453/

I would also consult with local government council associations in your neck of the woods. Local governments are often involved in co-management agreements for parks.

You might also look through the archives and/or contact the Project for Public Spaces: pps.org

Best

David

Sara Axtell
Sara Axtell
@sara-axtell
8 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for this link! We are more aware of local government collaborations, for example, school district-park board, but haven't yet seen examples of community-university agreements....?

David Week
David Week
@david-week
8 years ago
4 posts

Sara, by "community" do you mean a formal agreement between an incorporated community group for co-management of a space, in which the community group would manage community use? This would be a co-management agreement.

Or do you mean the university continuing to manage the space? These are covered by university community use of facilities policies, like this one:http://policy.ku.edu/provost/university-facilities-use-external-organizations

In either case, insurance considerations are likely to be key.

And the key to this is who is managing the use: the university directly, or a community organisation.

Opening up facilities to communities without management is only possible in states where statutes have been enacted which limit the liability of the institution for community use.

What kind of spaces are you talking about in general: indoor or outdoor?

Sara Axtell
Sara Axtell
@sara-axtell
8 years ago
4 posts

David, this is extremely helpful. I think what we are looking at is more of a community use policy. I will share the examples and questions you sent with my colleagues here. Thanks so much!

John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
8 years ago
50 posts

Hi Sara,

You might look at the agreement that has Metropolitan State University's library also serve as a branch of the public library system in St. Paul. In addition to shared space, I believe they also engage in collaborative program program development.

Sara Axtell
Sara Axtell
@sara-axtell
8 years ago
4 posts

Thanks, John!

Tags