air conditioning company doing ABCD in community

Philip
Philip
@philip
7 years ago
1 posts

I'm on the outreach board of a locally owned a/c company that is interested in doing ABCD in the community where it is located.  They have done monthly family movies on the property and would like to expand to other projects.  They have been collecting food from a local pantry and distributing it to some neighborhood families that frequent the movies, but I don't think this is very ABCD.  What are some ways we can start an ABCD relationship with the neighborhood? 

Peter Bates
Peter Bates
@peter-bates
7 years ago
5 posts

I'm delighted to see you engaged with ABCD. This ties in with my current interest in one specific way. I have been looking at the relationship between community interests and the profit motive. I have found lots of examples of commercial businesses that help community initiatives, but this looks like a one-way street. I have been looking for examples of commercial organisations, such as your a/c company perhaps, that are prepared to engage in true dialogue. In a real encounter, both sides change. So I'd love to know if there are things that you have changed in the way that you do business as a result of what you have heard from community people?  

My own evolving materials on how community interests interact with the profit motive are here, (it will be edited to a more digestible format when I know some more). The work is largely informed by some of the activities of the large pharmaceutical industries, but my focus continues to be on the profit/non-profit interface. 

So if you in the a/c company or others have stories of ABCD leading to real changes in the way that commercial organisations function, I'd be delighted to hear them. 

Tags