Evaluating community of interest project

Jo Richardson
Jo Richardson
@jo-richardson
8 years ago
2 posts

Hello,

I am new to this discussion board but am interested to hear if anyone has any experience in, or knowledge of, ABCD projects that focus on communities of interest (rather than geographically bounded neighbourhoods). I am looking at a project in the UK that focuses on a traditionally nomadic, but increasingly marginalised community, not alwayssocial included inwider communities but with very high levels of 'bonding capital' (Putnam). If anyone is aware of ABCD approaches with communities of interest or shared history and values who livewithin wider geographical communities or neighbourhoods- particularly aboriginal communities or Traveller communities, I would love to get in contact to find out more.

Thank you

Jo

updated by @jo-richardson: 10/24/16 04:47:22PM
Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
8 years ago
140 posts

Really interesting question, Jo! The only non-place-based communities I've worked with are online communities. There may be some similarities with online communities, but I'm assuming that the communities you refer to include people who live and/or travel together.... The only other groups that may be similar in some ways are groups of people who are homeless or groups of college students (two very different groups in many ways, but brought together temporarily due to shared experience or interest).

ABCD in Action is definitely the place to ask this question. If someone doesn't have the experience of this, they may be interested in engaging in conversation around the topic.

Joe Erpenbeck
Joe Erpenbeck
@joe-erpenbeck
8 years ago
5 posts

Hi Jo,

I have worked with several projects that have a focus of using an ABCD approach with people with disabilities within geographic area.Many of the people in these projects have experiences of being marginalized. I'm not sure if that would be helpful.

Joe

Jo Richardson
Jo Richardson
@jo-richardson
8 years ago
2 posts

Hello Joe, I would be interested to hear a bit more about your projects, please. I am interested to hear as manyexamples of how a community of interest develops within (or even outwith) a geographical community. My email address is jrichardson@dmu.ac.uk

Thank you very much

Jo

Tags