"Movement" Gathering in Melbourne

Adrian Pyle
Adrian Pyle
@adrian-pyle
15 years ago
21 posts

After our "gathering of the ABCD movement" in Melbourne today I added the following e-mail to my recent group e-mails (for what its worth the whole e-mail trail is below so you can follow the movement) .....Dear All,A very deep thanks to those who were able to make todays lunch with Amanda Howard and Peter Kaldor from NSW. It was a profound and rewarding conversation and one I think was infused with a great degree of hope with respect to the way that self-directing and strength based concepts can take root in some of the most modernistic environments.A couple of people asked me to resend the link to the Asia Pacific ning networking site for ABCD. It was http://abcdasiapacific.ning.com/ . There was also interest in the Fiery Spirits network which some of us are part of..Youll find it at..http://ruralresilience.ning.com/Ill be in touch again in the near future as we continue this exciting movement!Warm regards,AdrianAdrian PyleDirector: Relationships InnovationCommission for Mission130 Little Collins St Melbourne 3000t (03) 9251 5253 | f (03) 9251 5491 | m 0408 550 491e Adrian.Pyle@victas.uca.org.auw victas.uca.org.au_______________________________________From: Adrian PyleSent: Tuesday, 1 September 2009 12:36 PMTo: 'Adrian Pyle (Board)'Subject: RE: Asset Based Community Development NetworkDear All,Just a reminder that if anyone is interested in joining the twelve who are already attending the lunch on September 11, please let me know by COB September 7.Warm regards,Adrian________________________________________From: Adrian PyleSent: Wednesday, 19 August 2009 3:30 PMTo: Adrian Pyle (Board)Subject: Asset Based Community Development NetworkDear All,Some of you were the recipients of earlier e-mails from Patricia Hale and participated in several get-togethers with fellow ABCD practitioners (in Melbourne) after last years ABCD conference. Others have been added to this list from the official conference attendance list.Those who received my last e-mail will remember that I said I would write again as several ABCD event or connection ideas came to fruition. Here is an update to follow on from that e-mail:1) Experienced ABCD practitioner Amanda Howard to visit Melbourne: Amanda was a significant figure in the development of the self-directed Central Coast Congress community building exercise in New South Wales. She will be meeting with me on Friday September 11 2009. For those who could be free at lunchtime (12:30pm), I would like to invite you to lunch and conversation with Amanda. Lunch will be provided. The venue will be the Uniting Church Synod Centre at 130 Little Collins Street Melbourne. Please let me know via return e-mail if you would like to attend. I have attached Amandas biography below my electronic signature in this e-mail.2) I mentioned in my last e-mail that the Building Belonging project - funded through the Federal Minister for Ageing and exploring the use of ABCD for social inclusion of older people is developing a training/developmental DVD that shows core concepts of the ABCD approach. Things are in train for that DVD to be launched in September and when that happens I will invite you to another gathering to engage with it.3) I also mentioned before that the Building Belonging FaceBook page is becoming a general site for sharing of resources about ABCD and related community building concepts. Those on FaceBook can access the page at http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=9860&post=78307&uid=71763495879#/group.php?gid=71763495879 and become a friend to the project.4) Finally for this time the ABCD Asia Pacific Network has established an online network for Australian practitioners at http://abcdasiapacific.ning.com/ . As people join this from Victoria, there will be a chance to establish sub-groups for sharing of specific content. Otherwise it presents a good opportunity to float ideas and present information to a wider Australian interest group.Amandas bio is below.Take care,AdrianAdrian PyleDirector: Relationships InnovationCommission for Mission130 Little Collins St Melbourne 3000t (03) 9251 5253 | f (03) 9251 5491 | m 0408 550 491e Adrian.Pyle@victas.uca.org.auw victas.uca.org.auAmanda Howard: Amanda has a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) and a Bachelor of Social Work with over 17 years experience working with groups and communities in London, Sydney and on the Central Coast. Amanda worked in local government for 11 years in community development, social research & social planning. She has written social plans and undertaken community capacity building projects with communities on the Central Coast. In addition to this she is part of a team developing a regional approach to building social capital on the Central Coast. Amanda also works as a community consultant in social & cultural planning, community engagement, training, and community development and social research. Amanda has particular interest in working from an Asset or Strengths Based perspective in community development, and is currently undertaking a PhD examining the processes and impacts of Asset Based Community Development in building social capital on the Central Coast. Her work and passions focus on building inclusive communities where everyone is needed and has an opportunity to offer their skills and ideas.

updated by @adrian-pyle: 10/24/16 06:21:05AM
user image

@dee-brooks
15 years ago
0 posts
Fantastic Adrian! Thanks for posting this!Also, do you think it would be worthwhile to add a "ABCD Victoria" group on the main page of this site where the groups are? The ones that are there now were moreso for practice when I was setting up the site but maybe state by state would be beneficial for those of you who are meeting together - what do you think?Regards,Dee...
Adrian Pyle
Adrian Pyle
@adrian-pyle
15 years ago
21 posts
Thanks Dee for the encouragement. Great minds think alike. I was going to set up the state based group when we got a few more Victorians on the ning. But I guess there is no harm in starting that movement early.AdrianDee Brooks said:
Fantastic Adrian! Thanks for posting this!

Also, do you think it would be worthwhile to add a "ABCD Victoria" group on the main page of this site where the groups are? The ones that are there now were moreso for practice when I was setting up the site but maybe state by state would be beneficial for those of you who are meeting together - what do you think?

Regards,
Dee...
Chris Dureau
Chris Dureau
@chris-dureau
15 years ago
1 posts
Thanks Adrian for your coordination and ground breaking work together with Patricia earlier. I am not much in the country for the coming months, but will welcome the opportunity to come next time if available.By the way, when in Timor-Leste last month, Christine and I met with the two people who gave a key-note address at the Newcastle conference, Constantino Pinto and Inga Lemp. In enjoyed giving a one day introduction to ABCD to some of our newly recruited staff there. The challenge for me is that while I am very excited about using strength based approaches, I find it easy to fall back into a deficit based approach when describing it to those who have not considered this way of thinking before.best wishesChris
Adrian Pyle
Adrian Pyle
@adrian-pyle
15 years ago
21 posts
Thanks Chris. It's great to here the introductions are being made in so many diverse contexts!Christopher Dureau said:
Thanks Adrian for your coordination and ground breaking work together with Patricia earlier. I am not much in the country for the coming months, but will welcome the opportunity to come next time if available.

By the way, when in Timor-Leste last month, Christine and I met with the two people who gave a key-note address at the Newcastle conference, Constantino Pinto and Inga Lemp. In enjoyed giving a one day introduction to ABCD to some of our newly recruited staff there. The challenge for me is that while I am very excited about using strength based approaches, I find it easy to fall back into a deficit based approach when describing it to those who have not considered this way of thinking before.

best wishes

Chris

Tags