ABCD and children

Juliet
Juliet
@juliet
7 years ago
1 posts

Hi great members of ABCD. I would like to know,is there any helpful information someone might have on ABCD which i can use to work with children to enhance the capacities? based on the fact that working with kids is my main areas of engagement...

updated by @juliet: 07/19/17 05:38:53AM
rebeccapauls
rebeccapauls
@rebecca-pauls
7 years ago
1 posts

Hi Juliet,

There is some really interesting work happening in Washington State that uses ABCD principles while working together with kids.

My friend Geof is involved in this work, and I am continually inspired by his ideas and stories!

Here is an excerpt from one of his project websites:

"Community mobilization has been defined as a capacity building process through which community individuals, groups, or organizations plan, carry out and evaluate activities on a participatory and sustained basis to improve health and other needs on their own initiative or stimulated by others.

Our current focus: building a compassionate and trauma-aware community

We believe in the power of connection and compassion to make space for healing the human hurt we all experience.

Educating our community about the impact of trauma on our human development and the science that supports the power of connection is an important step to stopping the inter-generational cycle of what we call Adverse Childhood Experience (ACEs). We focus on resilience building as a community strategy that allows for individual and collective action to change our experiences and our future for the better. We engage organizations, schools, governments and residents to create a more compassionate community.

A community’s resilience is important— rarely can an individual achieve their highest level of resilience and hope without being in a safe, healthy, caring environment. Healthy, connected communities have the capacity to provide the skills and opportunities families need to increase hope, heal the impact of trauma and support children who will thrive."

The site has a lot of good ideas about community driven and citizen led initiatives that are happening.  

Maybe these stories will spark some of your own!

Rebecca

Tags