Talking Pieces

Sheryl Johnson
Sheryl Johnson
@sheryl-johnson2
8 years ago
9 posts
Many of us have long used conversation circles to create inclusive environments, especially in the public sphere. I am wondering if anyone in the ABCD network has used a talking piece, often used in restorative justice contexts, to create a space for diverse and/or disempowered voices with their community? More specifically, I am wondering about the talking piece as a tool that reduces the anxiety of not feeling heard that causes participants agitation and tension sometimes leading to disruption and ill feelings rather than productive outcomes in dialogue or community planning processes. Thanks for any feedback!
updated by @sheryl-johnson2: 10/24/16 06:19:00PM
John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
8 years ago
50 posts

Hi Sheryl,

Id consider doing a little basic community organizing prior to meeting. I am a fan of starting with one-on-one conversations before moving to larger groups. Marginalized people feel unheard for a variety of reasons. Some have experienced poorly facilitated events before, and are suspicious of the processes that theyve participated in. Other people are simply shy, or introverted, and even though they have a great deal of value to contribute, they just shut down in groups. Other folks are simply too busy to attend larger meetings.

One-on-ones can help in all of these cases. The person who has been burned by being shut out of processes before gets validation from a conversation where another stakeholder has their full attention. The shy person feels like they have someone who has their back an ally who could provide support in a larger group. The busy person can at least have their ideas delivered by proxy, and may be tapped to contribute later, at a more convenient time.

Sheryl Johnson
Sheryl Johnson
@sheryl-johnson2
8 years ago
9 posts
Thanks, John! I agree. As I ponder, I find myself wanting to take this a step further with thought to those who have been historically disenfranchised or who have suffered trauma that has caused what should be temporary respite [to heal trauma] rather than a relatively permanent separation from community. I wonder aloud how much long-term separation and lack of reintegration impacts people over time when there is no process for the restoration of their individual assets [voices] to their chosen community in a relatively timely way. I am thinking that the one to one healing time is very important. I am then thinking that perhaps these one to one supporters could best be utilized as a support in their reintegration into their chosen communities. The talking piece simply being an important tool to restore or welcome them and give voice to all including those who are new or have been disenfranchised.
Sheryl Johnson
Sheryl Johnson
@sheryl-johnson2
8 years ago
9 posts
For those who are not familiar with the talking piece:http://www.contemplativemind.org/practices/tree/council-circle
user image

@dee-brooks
8 years ago
0 posts

Hi Sheryl,

I blend my ABCD work with the participatory leadership processes of the Art of Hosting so, yes, we definitely use Talking Pieces... not always, but they certainly have their place!

I have found them very useful when working with young people and also when working with families/carers, people with a disability or groups of tight-nit people who need to slow down and listen more carefully and purposefully... although, in saying that, I have used a talking piece for "check-in" with a group of 100 people at a training event!

For me, it's like circle or dialogue work, once you've used it, you can play with it and find where it is most powerful and beneficial...

Regards,

Dee...

Sheryl Johnson
Sheryl Johnson
@sheryl-johnson2
8 years ago
9 posts
Thanks so much, Dee!Please keep me posted if you have experiences that use the talking piece in contexts with a high level of diversity (of any kind) in the room. While each situation will be different, I am quite curious about the dynamics of use in situations where achieving integrated participation is one desired result.Appreciated,Sheryl
user image

@dee-brooks
8 years ago
0 posts

Hi Sheryl,

One immediate time that comes to mind was during one circle where a large shell was being used as a talking piece during a check-in in a room where there were people with a physical disability who could not physically receive or pass on the talking piece...

It was really lovely to watch a group of almost strangers come together to ensure the piece was still 'passed' onto laps, wheelchairs, feet or whatever worked best in helping your neighbour be an integral part of the process - it shifted the dynamics of a workshop space quite quickly into one of a village!

In essence, the talking piece transformed into a purposeful "linker"!

Dee...

Sheryl Johnson
Sheryl Johnson
@sheryl-johnson2
8 years ago
9 posts
Love it, Dee! Thanks so much for sharing these great experiences!

Tags