Asset Mapping for a School Community

Megan Frasik
Megan Frasik
@megan-frasik
2 years ago
1 posts

Currently, I am creating an asset map for a school community in order to address community based assets that can be connected to a school. My goal is to create a visual that could be shared with the school with surrounding area assets as a way to connect the school to potential resources (especially thinking about the needs of the school and how those needs can be addressed by the community)

Any thoughts or ideas on tools for creating an asset map? 

Nkosinathi
Nkosinathi
@nkosinathi
2 years ago
2 posts
Hi there is a community tool box that I think u might find ideas on planning..https://ctb.ku.edu/en/get-started
John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
2 years ago
50 posts

Hi Megan. I like small maps. I would try to start with a tangible desired outcome. For example, a map with strategies to raise money for school supplies will look very different compared to a map around after school activities, or mentoring. Create maps focused on connecting, and mobilizing capacities to achieve specific outcomes, as opposed to creating a static inventory.

Michelle Dunscombe
Michelle Dunscombe
@michelle-dunscombe
2 years ago
30 posts

Hi Megan,

I would suggest the students and broader school community are involved in the Asset Mapping with you as mapping is as much about the connections and the diverse perspectives to mobilise the assets. I wonder if taking a strengths based approach to the mapping might be useful. What I mean by that is map what the school community has, identify what's strong in the community that you can leverage to get what you need.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Michelle

Wendy McCaig
Wendy McCaig
@wendy-mccaig
2 years ago
24 posts

[quote="Megan Frasik"]

Currently, I am creating an asset map for a school community in order to address community based assets that can be connected to a school. My goal is to create a visual that could be shared with the school with surrounding area assets as a way to connect the school to potential resources (especially thinking about the needs of the school and how those needs can be addressed by the community)

Any thoughts or ideas on tools for creating an asset map? 

[/quote]

Tags