Software for asset mapping?

greg.bloom
greg.bloom
@gregbloom
12 years ago
3 posts

Hi folks - I'm curious to learn what people use for asset/network-mapping -- beyond just, you know, big post-it sheets and text lists.

I've been using Freemind for basic mind-mapping, but the challenge there is that all information is structured hierarchically. If anyone else uses mindmaps for asset mapping, can you share some tips for how you deal with the multiplicities of relationships among nodes?

And if you have alternative recommendations for ways to store large sets of data such that the relationships can be 'read' visually and otherwise - please share!

updated by @gregbloom: 04/08/20 05:18:10PM
Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

Are you thinking about software that a specific tool that can be used? Or something that's built-in? What I mean is that I recently saw a community-based website that asked folks to answer a basic gift inventory on the profile for the site. I know the organizers are interested in using those gift inventory to help people make connections, but I'm not sure exactly how they're doing that.

Another colleague of mine,David, has introduced me to theBrain - I haven't used it enough yet, but you could check in with him about it.

Martha Oie
Martha Oie
@martha-oie
12 years ago
1 posts

Hi Greg, I have used www.thebrain.com to do some awesome asset mapping. The basic version is free, after that, with more bells and whistles, it gets to be a couple hundred bucks. Play with it. There are built in tutorials. Have fun! Happy mapping. I have also used ACT2000! and similar contact software, all of which are based on MS Access types of databases - these allow good contact records, note sections, etc. and allow groupings along any parameter you choose.

David Wetherow
David Wetherow
@david-wetherow
12 years ago
9 posts

Hi Greg, and Deb and Martha,

I have a major project going on that very topic. As Deb indicated, I've been using and adapting Personal Brain (http://www.thebrain.com) for doing exactly what you're describing, and in the course of that work have developed a fairly deep 'taxonomy' or 'pattern language' for identifying the people with whom we're connected, 'where they're anchored' (workplaces, learning places, community associations, etc.), and what capacities / assets they 'carry on board' (gifts, interests, skills, concrete resources, projects, values, etc.). Capacities / assets can also be attached to workplaces, associations, etc. - for example, a local Rotary Club might have a service project focused on youth in the community.

The taxonomy is incorporated in other work that I'm doing on building personal support circles (called the Star Raft), where we've embedded additional strategies for moving beyond 'mapping' in the direction of companionship, connection and contribution, finding the places in community where our capacities / assets are most clearly reflected - where our gifts would be understood and welcomed, moving from 'activity' to connection, and mobilizing the network.

I certainly share your interest in a mapping process that aids in identifying and visualizing this complex set of elements and relationship. Personal Brain is very close (it's a three-dimensional mapping system as opposed to a hierarchical system), but it's not 'there' yet in some important respects; unfortunately it can't be 'tweaked' to do everything we're thinking. At the moment, we're on the verge of an application development project with a graduate engineering course in a US university.

Must run,

With appreciation,

David Wetherow

greg.bloom
greg.bloom
@gregbloom
12 years ago
3 posts
Thanks for the responses! The Brain was indeed on my list ( the only nonhierarchical option i had found in fact) so i will give it a try.Still, i suspect that the practice of using it, and the framework that you call a 'pattern language', is more imprtant than the software itself.Do you have a writeup of that taxonomy and how it's used, or is it just embedded within your maps? Are there resources that anyone can point to for developing community asset map taxonomies, and the practical aspect of how to develop and hone them over time?
greg.bloom
greg.bloom
@gregbloom
12 years ago
3 posts
Also, i would love to read more about the Star Raft!
vangronj
vangronj
@jay-van-groningen
12 years ago
6 posts

The best asset mapping software including gifts of individuals (heads, hands, willing to teach), associations, institutions, physical assets, and much more is CCAMP. Go to www.ctassets.org or www.thecommunityconnection.org. Do not be overwhelmed by the costs or the "depth" of this tool kit. You can start at any level in any neighborhood with as many or few collaborating partners as you have.

David Wetherow
David Wetherow
@david-wetherow
4 years ago
9 posts
@david-wetherow • 3 minutes ago • 7 posts:

I’ll be happy to host a Zoom meeting exploring the use of Personal Brain to map connections, capacities and gifts starting with one’s personal relationships, neighbourhood, work, cultural, faith or associational places.

Let’s start with a gathering on Wednesday, March 18, at 1600 GMT, 9:00 am Pacific Time. Joining 15 minutes early will give you time to add Zoom to your computer, tablet or phone and check your sound and video.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/608538964

Hoping to see you there, and
Looking forward!
David Wetherow
The Star Raft Project

PS The .jpg image below displays the gathering date and time zone info from GMT to the west coast of the US and Canada.
IMG_2328.jpg
IMG_2328.jpg  •  400KB

Kenneth Wyrick
Kenneth Wyrick
@kenneth-wyrick
4 years ago
6 posts

I use an open source mapping software toolkit http://live.osgeo.org

user image

@abcd-in-action
4 years ago
0 posts

We seem to have two different conversations going on regarding software for asset mapping, so I'm going to close this conversation and refer you all to the other one, which you can find here.

Tags