advice on ABCD in a faith context

Emma Hanna
Emma Hanna
@emma-hanna
11 years ago
1 posts

Hi,

I've recently been employed by a faith community to implement an ABCD approach to mobilise the faith community's assets positively in the local community.

The faith community (Manningham Uniting Church) is newly formed of 4 local Uniting Churches joining together to better utilise their resources in the local community. The purpose is not to grow membership but to build local connections and relationships in a very authentic, genuine and real way. To utilise what we have in partnership with the local community (outside church membership) so that together we can actively participate in a healthy community. Currently Manningham Uniting Church is made up of 9 worshiping communities, many small groups and programs. In total the membership is about 450 people.

My employment was proposed in a 3 phase approach:

Phase One focussing on mapping the assets of Manningham UnitingChurch

Phase Two focussing on mapping the assets of the local municipality (community outside the church membership) and

Phase Three focussing on bringing assets together with synergies and mobilising action using these assets.

In planning the first phase I endeavour to conduct a survey both online and hard copy including personal interviews using the survey, some one to one meetings with key influential people and identified others amongst the church membership and run 11 workshops (1 for each worshipping community and 2 combined). I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice about how to conduct the mapping in a way that aids the collation of the information gathered?

My plan is to be able to physically represent the assets on a geographical map, I've read about this being done before e.g. all the people, associations, services etc. who have identified a passion for children are marked on the map with a pink sticker (perhaps a different shaped pink sticker to identify services from people), phase 3 would then be drawing the people and services marked with pink stickers in close proximity to one another together. A good idea except it's tricky to gather the information in a way that doesn't preempt people's passions and allows for free articulation of gifts and passions.

I'm in the very fortunate position where I have the freedom to design the implementation of the approach, so am keen to hear from any one who may have experience in using ABCD in a faith connect or whom may have ideas about the best way I may go about it? or know good resources I could tap into? I am also aware that much of the approach will come from building relationships with both church members and members of the local community and not through the formalised mapping exercise.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Emma

updated by @emma-hanna: 10/24/16 04:45:18PM
Ron Dwyer-Voss
Ron Dwyer-Voss
@ron-dwyer-voss
11 years ago
48 posts

Hi Emma! This sounds like an exciting project. St. John's Lutheran Church in Sacramento, CA tried something similar recently. We found that it was very effective to pull together a team of 5-7 'listeners' to conduct the interviews and conversations with people in the neighborhood. This resulted in over 50 listening conversations over a short period of time, and also created a web of relationships instead of all relationships coming back to me, the facilitator, or to the pastors. We asked about passions and interests and perspectives on the neighborhood more than services. What we found was that our data was not so interesting on a map, but that we had several 'themes' of interest we could organize people around. That is happening now. In another church they did an internal mapping of congregants by conducting individual gift surveys - usually in person. Then they pulled everyone together around an evening meal and shared results and provided time and space for people to organize around similar interests - they also asked "Given what we know about each other now, what might we do together that would be better than doing it separately?" This l question can lead to numerous projects that are grounded in relationships and interests.

Dan Duncan
Dan Duncan
@dan-duncan
11 years ago
12 posts

Emma, good day. This is a very exciting project and it sounds like you are on the right track. I am currently working with Methodist Ministries of South Texas to help them train their Wesley Nurses (Parish Nurses) to do asset-mapping and connecting. As you know, asset mapping is about connecting people with the same passions to act collectively and not just collecting data. Talking time to have one-on-one conversations is critical and I recommend that is starts by people interviewing people they all ready know. I do not believe door knocking builds the connections you need.

I have attached a handout of my asset mapping process. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Dan

Tags