Building Community during a Pandemic

user image

@abcd-in-action
4 years ago
0 posts

ABCD in Action Global Gathering_2020.9.3.jpg

During our recent Global Gathering (Sept 2020), ABCD in Action members shared stories about community building that was happening naturally (led by unpaid, community members) in their communities, as well as how the pandemic was changing their own community building practice. This graphic represents some of the ideas that were shared. 

How has the pandemic affected community building in your community? How have you changed how you think about building community? Do you use different tools? Different strategies? How do you STILL use community assets to build community? Share you thoughts here. 

Thank you, April Doner, for capturing our conversation in the graphic above.

updated by @abcd-in-action: 01/19/21 01:26:16PM
user image

@abcd-in-action
4 years ago
0 posts

The file attached below includes group notes from our last Global Gathering. 

pdf

updated by @abcd-in-action: 09/29/20 04:28:27PM
user image

@abcd-in-action
4 years ago
0 posts

If you have any ideas, questions, stories to share on this topic, please feel free to add them to this conversation. 

Deb

santipiedra
@santipiedra
4 years ago
3 posts

Hi, we work in Colombia, and in we just started after the pandemic with ABCD as a methodology in our comminity. I wan to say that it was the perfect moment because we were all here at home. Also, we had the people to help us with the surveys so we could do the job very fast. 

Tracey
Tracey
@tracey
3 years ago
4 posts

[quote="Tracey"]

I live in Greenville, SC and in the infant stages of starting The Roving Listener Program that was created by DeAmon Harges with The Learning Tree in Indianapolis. Do you have advice about how to begin in the days of the Covid? Thank you.

[/quote]

user image

@abcd-in-action
3 years ago
0 posts

Great question, Tracey. I'll be including your question in the newsletter we send out at the beginning of Feb. 

Deb

--------------

Deb Wisniewski 

ABCD in Action

Paul Wagstaff
Paul Wagstaff
@paul-wagstaff
3 years ago
1 posts

A Lockdown reflection

During lockdown, Zoom and other online communication media have been a godsend. Meetings, seminars, church services, teaching, concerts, etc, have taken place which otherwise would have been cancelled. For this we can be extremely grateful.

However we must not lose sight of what has been lost and the cost that has been incurred. Face to face human interaction, touch, hugs and smiles are an integral part of human behaviour. Losing them comes at a high price.

I have sensed that sometimes event organisers assume that because an online event has taken place all its normal benefits have accrued. Certainly many participants will have benefited from the event. But what about:

• Those who can’t or won’t use on-line facilities.
  • Those reluctant to engage.
  • Those who see and hear but misunderstand.
  • Those who have no means of checking or questioning what they have seen or heard.

This is in no way intended as a criticism those who organise Zoom meetings nor is it a comment on the need for, or the efficacy of lockdowns. Far from it. However, I see two issues:

• How can the cost to individuals and the community be taken into account in the decision whether or not to impose a lockdown?
  • Can ABCD help? If so how?

Maybe a bit pessimistic, but I would welcome other's comments!

Paul Wagstaff

Tags