Block Connector Platform?

Brianne Connelly
Brianne Connelly
@brianne-connelly
2 years ago
1 posts

Hi all!  I am moving things forward to get a Block Connector program started in my neighborhood. I recently came across the following website that seems to detail a platform that was created for the purpose of block connecting. I'd like to learn more about it. I messaged the "contact" tab on the website but haven't heard back from anyone and I see that the website hasn't been updated since 2021 so I'm not sure if it's still a functioning site. Do you have any info. on this platform? If so, I'd love to learn more about it or any other platforms you may know of that can achieve the type of information collection and connecting that is needed for the Block Connector role. Thanks!

Allison Lourash
Allison Lourash
@allison-lourash
2 years ago
18 posts

Welcome Brianne- I do not know of anyone using that site although I have seen it advertised before. Others use more of an open-ended approach. Have you connected with Howard Lawrence who runs the Block Connector program for the City of Edmonton Canada? I would suggest that would be a useful connection as they use a connecting card- https://www.edmonton.ca/public-files/assets/document?path=PDF/ACE-BlockConnectorsResourceGuide.pdf

You could build an internal database similar to the block connector software too- as a fellow Wisconsinite I would be happy to chat about what that could look like.

Allison Lourash, PhD

Community Scholar-Practitioner

www.lourash.com

715-205-7305

allison@lourash.com

Joel Zaslofsky
Joel Zaslofsky
@joel-zaslofsky
2 years ago
7 posts

I'm moving things forward with a Block Connector initiative in my neck of the woods, too. :)

(That would be Edina, Minnesota, USA.)

Like Allison, I've heard of theblockconnector.com site, but never heard of anyone actually using it or maintaining it.

I've spoken with Mark Gordon and Tim Senger, the two behind the software that some of the Block Connectors with Abundant Community Edmonton use, and they're slowly revamping their whole CommonGood platform. There's nothing to see there right now from a public-facing perspective.

I've also spoken with Ruben Medina and Alisha Brown, a big part of be well in Denver/Aurora, and they don't use common software tools for what you have in mind.

I'll be iterating on my own custom blend of Google Forms, Excel Spreadsheets, and other tools to have Block Connectors gather and share information about people on their block. I'll report back here if I feel like I'm:

1. Far enough along that I've simplified the process for others to use.
  2. Using another tool like CommonGood that's working out for me.

Tags