Cloud based asset mapping software

Suzanne Hopman
Suzanne Hopman
@suzanne-hopman
11 years ago
1 posts

Hi are there any cloud/internet based programs where multiple groups can log on, update and view assets in the area?

updated by @suzanne-hopman: 10/24/16 06:19:00PM
Ron Dwyer-Voss
Ron Dwyer-Voss
@ron-dwyer-voss
11 years ago
48 posts

Oh wow, that is a really good idea. I haven't seen anything like that, but hopefully someone has and shares.

Kent Schell
Kent Schell
@kent-schell
11 years ago
3 posts

I agree that is a good idea. And in a more general sense is there any kind of asset mapping software, say, that an individual organization might use? Thanks.

Curtis Griesel
Curtis Griesel
@curtis-griesel
11 years ago
1 posts

You might check out http://wikimapia.org. Their might be a way there to allow people to go in and add assets to a map of their neighborhood.

Kent Schell
Kent Schell
@kent-schell
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks. I will check it out!

Magdalena Valderrama Hurwitz
@magdalena-valderrama-hurwitz
11 years ago
29 posts

I joined the Open Space Technology listserve. John McKnight has given presentations with Harrison Owen, the OST founder, so these are related movements. Our group has been looking for similar cloudsharing software, not necessarily maps but ways to catalogue our work. So maybe someone can adapt these things for ABCD. Out of the ones we've been discussing, it seems to me that Trello.commight be useful for the cataloguing that is part of ABCD work. It's a unique kind of project/task management software because it uses "cards" and not Gantt charts so I've seen it used for purposes other than project-planning, and users share the applications they've developed.

11 years ago
29 posts

Forgot to mention, there are alreadyABCD Google mapping projects posted on the internet, but rather few and far between. Check outhttp://www.slideshare.net/srengasamy/introduction-to-community-asset-mapping-presentationto see if there's anything you can glean from their work or maybe you can try and contact them to see how they did it.

Scott Robinett
Scott Robinett
@scott-robinett
11 years ago
3 posts

this is the one that brought me to ABCD. Interesting study.

Karen Derrick-Davis
Karen Derrick-Davis
@karen-derrick-davis
11 years ago
7 posts

I am very excited to find this conversation because I am in the process of developing a web-based asset mapping pilot project and don't want to re-invent the wheel. What we plan to develop is an interactive mapping program that maps down to the individual and connects people to each other through services and producst (from Joe who will shovel your sidewalks to people with home-based businesses). Of course, regular store-fronts will be represented, but the focus will be on connecting individuals to each other. Think of it as a hyper-local Angie's List and Etsy. The data will be entered through crowdsourcing and door-to-door collection. Neighborhood organizations could use the data to engage residents in the organization and around issues. My dream is to expand the model to include hyper-local micro-financing and micro-investing (like a neighborhood-based GoFundMe). Neighbors investing in neighbors. So, anybody done this, already?????

John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
11 years ago
50 posts

I have bothIT and ABCD geekiness. There are loads of free technologies out there that can upload real-time data into web-served spreadsheets, maps, etc. I would, however, caution folks intent on creating primarily static data bases of assets. The most important thing you can map is relationships. All other 'big project' asset mapping examples I have seen are focused WAY too heavily on institutional assets and on individual asset maps that ignore the informal associations between, and connected to, the group of people passionate enough to stick with local action. If you are intent on making something about the software, I could probably post some innovative mobile tools here in the future.

Karen Derrick-Davis
Karen Derrick-Davis
@karen-derrick-davis
11 years ago
7 posts

John, I would really like to discuss this with you! Can we speak on the phone or via email?

Kent Schell
Kent Schell
@kent-schell
11 years ago
3 posts

Hi Karen,

Have been meaning to contact you. I, too am very interested in the ideas of identifying assets and mapping relationships to help community benefit organizations. Would love to learn about what you are working on.

John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
11 years ago
50 posts

Sure. You can email me at john@mncampuscompact.org

Karen Derrick-Davis
Karen Derrick-Davis
@karen-derrick-davis
11 years ago
7 posts

Feel free to email me: karenderrickdavis@gmail.com

11 years ago
29 posts

I start offering a 3-day training session for a group this Friday. It's been a constant play in relationship to get my colleagues to understand that they need more than a static database, and the furthest they've come along is a plan to use this database as the foundation to build a social site private to the group. That's good progress for us.

A lot of drawn asset maps I've seen online are also static in the sense you describe because I can't tell from looking how the community members are actually using the "assets" posted. One lady doing a project in England, ended up drawing her own map of the relationships that were developed for a project, rather than the community making the map together. It was more of a mind-map, but I appreciated the color-coding to show the relationships. Here's what I found:

Project: http://creativecitizens.co.uk/2012/05/29/community-asset-mapping-and-a-jubilee-street-party/

Image: http://creativecitizens.co.uk/files/2012/05/streetpartymap-full.jpg

Could you and Karen please continue this thread so that the rest of us can consult with you as you go along?

Karen Derrick-Davis
Karen Derrick-Davis
@karen-derrick-davis
11 years ago
7 posts

The scope of the project I am working on is currently limited to commerce. We are looking to create a dynamic map that is purely for commerce at the individual/household level (paid, bartered, volunteered)--services and goods. The web-based piece will be a component of a comprehensive project that includes a physical site staffed by a real person. We want this project to be very visible in the neighborhood, so I envision a yard sign for each service/product provider that will advertise their services/goods and involvement in the project. in the future, I would like to expand the project to include a micro-financing or micro-enterprise piece; basically, neighbors funding neighbors. I feel this is quite ambitious, but doable. ANY insight others have is greatly appreciated.

John Hamerlinck
John Hamerlinck
@john-hamerlinck
11 years ago
50 posts

You can make your own client-side Google maps mashups. Programmableweb.com has a pretty good overview of what is involved at http://www.programmableweb.com/howto. A blog called Google Maps Mania, might give you ideas on what is possible in the world of making your own maps from Google's API. http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

For example, look at a site called safe2pee.org http://safe2pee.org/new/. It was created by some folks in the transgender community, and offers a community-driven resource to allow people to locate safe bathrooms within their communities. (Gender neutral and single stall bathrooms can benefit others as well: parents with children, those with access or mobility needs and those who desire extra privacy are a few who may benefit).

If you want to compile information using regular SMS text messaging (even the non-tech-savvy can usually text),you might want to look at Rapid SMS https://www.rapidsms.org. Its text message framework manages data collection using basic mobile phones, uploading data to the Internet as soon as it is received. End users dont need to install any software on their phone. It is free, but requires a little technical knowledge to set up.

Crowdmap.com is another site that may do what you want. They may be in some transition now, but you might want to look at it https://crowdmap.com/welcome.

Karen Derrick-Davis
Karen Derrick-Davis
@karen-derrick-davis
11 years ago
7 posts

Thanks so much. I can't wait to delve in!

11 years ago
29 posts

Do you know about Jennifer Palka's nonprofit, Code for America?The companymatches coders with governmentsbadly in need of improvements in efficiency, and the coders do everything from streamlining food assistance programs to developing a system for replacing batteries in tsunami sirens. I heard last year about how they set up an app so that community members could work with one another to care for local fire hydrants and keep them free and clear of snow etc. for emergencies. I don't know what the app is called, but the system has been rapidly adopted around the country. They could be a good resource. When I have time after my training, I will look into it further, myself.

Karen Derrick-Davis
Karen Derrick-Davis
@karen-derrick-davis
11 years ago
7 posts

Sounds interesting, will check it out.

Tags