At what point does engagement become a relationship or buy-in?"

Mary Kay Delvo
Mary Kay Delvo
@mary-kay-delvo
11 years ago
3 posts

Is anyone aware of existing research on this topic?I'm working on a masters program and am exploring this topic for my final paper. I could use some help narrowing the topic down. Thanks a bunch!

updated by @mary-kay-delvo: 10/24/16 04:45:35PM
Ron Dwyer-Voss
Ron Dwyer-Voss
@ron-dwyer-voss
11 years ago
48 posts

Wow! Big topic!

From my experience working in this field for nearly 30 years, I would suggest a couple of measures:

1. Engagement is usually measured by participation - sign in sheets, attendance counts at meetings, etc.

2. Relationship and buy-in implies that the participant owns and is an actor in the group rather than just responding to the convener.

NeighborWorks America's Success Measures program helps community groups measure this in their various social capital survey tools. You may want to check them out. (warning - they are moving buildings next week and their internet/website will be down)

Also, I think the Annie Casey foundation has looked at this through their Community Capacity Initiative.

Let us know what you find!

Mary Kay Delvo
Mary Kay Delvo
@mary-kay-delvo
9 years ago
3 posts

My apologies for my very delayed response and thank you for these resources. I will explore them.

The focus of my graduate program ended up morphing into a process for developing self-awareness within emerging leader programs. I utilized the Enneagram and developed a new component of the Enneagram to help facilitate self-awareness and incorporate it as a daily practice for leaders working toward self-awareness and growth.

Mary Kay

Tags