Infrastructure/technology for basic necesities

Lauren M Butler
Lauren M Butler
@deb-wisniewski
11 years ago
4 posts

Hi there! I've enjoyed reading some of the discussions on using information technology and social networks in community development, and I'd love to hear about any thoughts/ideas on a different area of technology: infrastructure and and the ever-so-common phrase "appropriate technologies" for increasing access to basic necessities. I studied ABCD with Jody and John, graduated in Mechanical Engineering, and now manage water supply and basic sanitation projects in Bolivia. Every day I try to incorporate the asset-based approaches I learned to doing international engineering projects, and would love to improve by learning from the work and thoughts of others!

Anyone know of organizations, people, literature that applies Asset-Based approaches to Engineering Development (ABED if I may)? There are certainly specific challenges of using ABCD for technology and infrastructure projects, but also specific opportunities. Some opportunities:

-I've found that doing an asset-based assessment in the front end of the project really helps, because when engineers come into a community asking about project needs the community's expectations shoot through the roof!

-Also, the effect of an asset-based approach on a program/project's sustainability canespeciallybe seen in engineering projects, because the use/non-use of local resources determines how long a physical structure will be in place and operating.

Some specific challenges:

-The best technical option is usually not the best ABCD option (though theoretically, the best engineering option should take into account the whole context)

-Outside resources are often necessary. Designing a bridge should be done by a structural engineer. The way I rationalize this is that the long-term goal when it comes to technology and infrastructure is not necessarily self-sufficient communities; very few neighborhoods in more developed countries maintain their own water and electricity systems. In most cases, this is the role of thegovernment.

Therefore, these technology and infrastructure projects might bring in outside resources, but should create a stronger, permanent connection between the community and those outside resources like a county technician, a water pump supplier/repairer in the nearest city, and government funds available for infrastructure projects.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts, even from those not directly involved in this field. What other challenges/opportunities might I run into? What Asset-Based tools/mindsets have I not mentioned that could be helpful to these types of projects? What might it look like to use ABCD in things like community sanitation improvement? Road and building repairs? Energy provision? Water technology innovation?

In your opinion, is "Appropriate Technology" an asset-based approach?

updated by @deb-wisniewski: 10/25/16 02:08:10PM
Magdalena Valderrama Hurwitz
Magdalena Valderrama Hurwitz
@magdalena-valderrama-hurwitz
11 years ago
29 posts

Hi, Lauren - I'm not any kind of techie, but I like your ABED concept :-) I think what you're talking about depends on the size of both the project and the community. As we've seen over the decades, information technology can both isolate and connect people. Since ABCD accounts for institutions, such as government, as assets or resources only as long as they are being used in ways they were meant to be used, I don't think there' s a problem with having to rationalize using "outside resources". In the case of the bridge-builders, the challenge arises if and when the outside resources - the county technician or whoever, sees the community they're serving as part of the problem or a contribution to the consideration. The institution would have to work out procedures and expectations ahead of time with the county tech as part of the rules of engagement so that the tech knows the score. Here in the city of Napa, people are very conscious about maintaining the quality of life and get vocal about who gets "brought in" and whether locals are being hired, so even though we haven't applied ABCD here yet, the local institutions are very conscious of community sentiment and local staff availability.

In response to your question about appropriate technology,a local public radio station featured an interview with Jennifer Pahlka,the founder of Code for America, a nonprofit that hooks up techies to government service, kind of like a Peace Corps. COA's work is not directly related to ABCD, but I just think it's interesting that Ms. Pahlka noticed assets and not just needs. Maybe there's a way to draw her into this conversation :-D.

Peace.

Tags