Community Led Public Libraries

Sandy Newell
Sandy Newell
@sandy-newell
11 years ago
3 posts

Some public libraries are using similar community development techniques to plan and implement services. A couple of free resources out there include, Community-Led Libraries Toolkit, and a Guide for Conducting Community Leader Interviews. A more indepth book on the subject is Developing Community-Led Public Libraries published in 2013. All of these tools focus on reaching excluded communities but would be useful for a library to reach out to any unserved group.

I would like to hear more about what models libraries are using for planning and needs assessment -- especially as they implement new and innovative services. I also want to learn how libraries work with community partners on ABCD.

updated by @sandy-newell: 10/25/16 01:27:32PM
Kenneth Williment
Kenneth Williment
@kenneth-williment
11 years ago
2 posts

As a starting point you might want to check this out... http://clacommunityled.wordpress.com/

Thanks.

Ken

Kenneth Williment
Kenneth Williment
@kenneth-williment
11 years ago
2 posts

Also, over the past year the Canadian Library Association's main publication has a section dedicated to Community-Led work see http://www.cla.ca/AM/Template.cfm?Section=20131&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=14215

Sandy Newell
Sandy Newell
@sandy-newell
8 years ago
3 posts

Are there any public library staff or library supporters a member of this site?

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
8 years ago
140 posts

I'm definitely a library supporter! And I know quite a few librarians. Are you a librarian, Sandy?

Sandy Newell
Sandy Newell
@sandy-newell
8 years ago
3 posts

Yes, I work for Florida's Bureau of Library Development in Tallahassee and am responsible for providing training and technical assistance for public library administrators, new library directors, library supporters and library adult literacy program including our newest, Career Online High School.

My previous work experience was as a director, public library outreach consultant, adult literacy and more in Florida and Georgia.

It would be great if we could get more of a dialog here. I started this Forum 3 years ago.  I wonder what the "hot topics" would be today as library's are reinventing themselves.

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
8 years ago
140 posts

I'm sure we can, now that it's easier for people to join the conversations. 

I absolutely agree that libraries are changing... for example, our local libraries have been serving as early voting sites over the last few weeks. We've had huge community turn-out for early voting as a result, including our poorer neighborhoods. 

Tags