Asset Mapping software?

Lachlan Keating
Lachlan Keating
@lachlan-keating
8 years ago
4 posts

Does anyone have some advice on the pros and cons of any asset mapping software?

updated by @lachlan-keating: 10/24/16 03:46:48PM
Dee Brooks
Dee Brooks
@dee-brooks
8 years ago
87 posts

Hi Lachlan,

Do you have any examples?

Where you thinking of developing something?

I've often thought of finding/developing something user-friendly like this - have you seen The Personal Brain ? I think it's a possibility - I've been mucking around with it but I'm not fully convinced yet that it would work for what you want...

I'll let you know...

Regards,

Dee...

Lachlan Keating
Lachlan Keating
@lachlan-keating
8 years ago
4 posts

Hi Dee,

my post was speculative really...I thought I read somewhere about some software that was in use and was hoping someone on the network could fill the gap in my memory. We are working with a number of Deaf communities - potentially 20 or more throughout NZ -so the paper pile is going to get pretty tall eventually...

Lachlan

Dee Brooks
Dee Brooks
@dee-brooks
8 years ago
87 posts

Hi Lachlan,

Well I'm having a great time with The Personal Brain - I think it has great implications/applications - and you can add all the documentation you want! I suggest you have a look - it launches on my desktop everyday and I add everything I think about - and they all link!

Let me know if you find anything else...

Regards,

Dee...

Lachlan Keating
Lachlan Keating
@lachlan-keating
8 years ago
4 posts
Am looking thru the Personal Brain now....potentially very good I think, once I work out how to use it properly!
David Wetherow
David Wetherow
@david-wetherow
2 months ago
5 posts
I’ve been using Personal Brain for some years to do exactly what is being discussed here. I’m in driving mode right now so will get back to this post with the template and pattern language we’ve developed.

Dave Wetherow
~~_/)*~~~
Dee Brooks
Dee Brooks
@dee-brooks
2 months ago
87 posts

Dave!

Wow! I would love to hear more! I haven't used Personal Brian since this post 8 years ago!

I have heard of a few trial apps being developed though...

Dee...

David Wetherow
David Wetherow
@david-wetherow
2 months ago
5 posts

Here's one example ... With the person I'm thinking about in the center of the Personal Brain (PB) display, I start identifying what does this person 'carry on board' (this photo), where is this person 'anchored' (associations, workplaces, learning places, formal and informal groups, etc.), to whom does this person have strong connections (and what do those people 'carry on board', etc.).  When I think about where someone is 'anchored', I remember that these are community places in which the person is likely to have standing and influence and where they have the power of invitation.  

When we're thinking about where someone is anchored, it raises the question, Who else is in there? and What do those people 'carry on board'?  It also leads us to explore what does this place 'carry on board' in terms of ideals, focus, commitments, etc.  For example, if someone is anchored in Habitat for Humanity, that's a very rich environment for connections, opportunities, and in particular, opportunities for someone to make a valued contribution.

The second photo, starts to remind us of the various kind of associaitons, and it often deepens our inquiry.

IMG_1946.png
IMG_1946.png  •  665KB

IMG_1943.png
IMG_1943.png  •  725KB

updated by @david-wetherow: 10/08/19 05:44:34PM
David Wetherow
David Wetherow
@david-wetherow
2 months ago
5 posts

One more screenshot, detailing what we're thinking about when asking where someone is (or might want to be) 'anchored'.  A friend of mine once mused, "Imagine what would happen if you did this kind of inquiry in a neighbourhood?"  I would add, Or a church?  Or a local civic club?  We're also looking for what Faye calls the 'sweet places' in community -- places that are based on invitation and agreement, tend to be small, are fundamentally cooperative rather than competitive, and in John McKnight's words, that systematically identify and mobilize the gifts of every single person.  Habitat is a beautiful example of that idea.

2019-10-08_16-47-28.png

updated by @david-wetherow: 10/08/19 05:59:50PM
Dee Brooks
Dee Brooks
@dee-brooks
2 months ago
87 posts

Thanks so much for all this info, Dave! It's fabulous to re-visit the "brain" and see how you have been using it!

Have you written this up anywhere else? blog? article?

I think it could definitely benefit the e-conversations that are happening around online/virtual communities!

Dee...

Fasoranti Damilola
Fasoranti Damilola
@fasoranti-damilola
2 weeks ago
6 posts

Hello David,

Thank you for sharing about how you have been using Personal Brain. A friend of mine has talked me into using it for the past 3 years and I haven't taken a look.

For the sake of newbies like me and others that have started using it, but not in this special way as you have highlighted, will you consider doing something like a mini-webinar or video to show how this works?

Thank you.

David Wetherow
David Wetherow
@david-wetherow
2 weeks ago
5 posts

Dear Fasoranti, 

I would be more than happy to do a mini-webinar demonstrating a live version of the Personal Brain 'map' that we've developed for this.  Early- to mid-December would be a good time on my side.  I'll get into my calendar and see what might work best, and set it up on Zoom's webinar platform.  What time zone are you calling from?

Appreciatively,

David Wetherow

Tags