Community Technology Asset Mapping

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

Hi everyone -

As part of some work I'm doing with a community, I want to help them think about what kinds of technology-related assets they have. As far as I can tell, this is kind of uncharted territory for asset mapping. I think technology may show up in other types of asset maps (e.g., asking people about their computer skills as part of an individual gifts inventory), but not an asset map that focuses specifically on the community's tech assets.

I'm thinking specifically about computer and internet here for now.... I've drafted some questions to be considered as part of a tech asset map.

• I'd love some feedback from this great group on the questions I've drafted.
  • I'd like to also know what you think would be important to know in terms of trying to map a community's tech assets.

Here are thequestionsI have so far... Note that some of questions are specific to the community (Richland) and to the focus of the project (older adults).

updated by @deb-wisniewski: 10/24/16 06:19:00PM
greg.bloom
greg.bloom
@gregbloom
12 years ago
3 posts

I'm working on an initiative with very similar parameters, and also have been preparing for a big asset mapping exercise. I would really like to collaborate on it!

For me, a key framework here comes from understanding that, in order to bridge the digital divide so to speak, a person has to take four distinct steps to move from offline to online. Those steps are: access to internet bandwidth/service, access to hardware (computers), access to training/support, and finally, exposure to valuable content.

Your document here does ask about each of these points, but it may be worth clarifying a bit with them in mind. For instance, the important asset of Training Opportunities is nodded to in the general section of 'People' -- but it may merit its own section and specific questions (where can you go to learn basic skills? Intermediate and advanced? where can you go to get your computer fixed? etc). That would allow the People section to be just about community leaders and other resourceful individuals.

Also, you may want to add a question to the Computers section that's specifically asking where people can get low cost / refurbished hardware.

Finally, regarding the final section ('Online Presence' - in the 'digital bridge' terms, i guess you could say this is where 'valuable content' comes from) I'm mindful of the fact that an organization can have an 'online presence' that's not very present and not really valuable. Also, I'm mindful of the fact that the best community information isn't necessarily going to be provided by organizations. You might want to ask a further question of: what are some valuable sources of local information that can be found online? Where are the virtual hubs of our local community?

I would really like to hear more about your initiative and ask some questions of my own! ~greg

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

excellent! I'm a bit swamped right now, but want to look at this over the next couple days while I'm on the road... I may need to go ahead and use a variation of what I have now with my current group, but would love to have your thinking as I work on this... thanks Greg.

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

Hi Greg -

I've been thinking about what you said and it's very helpful. One way that I am thinking of this is not as a process as you describe above, but as a snapshot if you will of where the tech assets are within the community. What does that community already have in terms of technological assets? Just as with other types of assets (e.g., the assets of individuals), what's there and how does the community want to tap into those assets? I think your very last question is especially relevant in thinking about this - where are the virtual hubs of the local community? for me that is not even necessarily about "content" as much as where do people come together, where do they connect and why? Thanks for some stimulating ideas!

Deb

greg.bloom
greg.bloom
@gregbloom
12 years ago
3 posts

I think this is a more general (and basic ABCD) question, but: I'm interested in the format of the output on exercises like these. Do you just craft a document that can be referred to as the work continues, or can your mapping exercise yield a functional database of resources, skills, needs, etc?

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

Sorry it took so long for me to respond... I've been out of reach of the internet due to family stuff going on...

In terms of your question, I think both are possible uses... To me the most basic use is to get an idea of what we're already rich with and how we can tap into the richness to continue to develop our community... Part of the answer to your question depends on the community. What do the people there want to have happen?

Susan O'Donnell
Susan O'Donnell
@susan-odonnell
12 years ago
1 posts

Hi everyone, I'm new to the ABCD in action and this group... so to introduce myself I am Susan O'Donnell based in New Brunswick, Canada and have been researching technology and communities for many years. I am an active member of the Community Informatics Research Network and on the editorial board of the Journal of Community Informatics - http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej . My own research is related to remote and rural First Nations (Indigenous) communities and I'm currently doing some work in North Spirit Lake First Nation in a remote part of northern Ontario. I am new to ABCD and attended a workshop by John McKnight in July that got me all fired up about integrating some ABCD concepts into my research. One of the things we will be working on next year with my main research project is a community technology inventory, so there may be some synergies with the community technology assets work. I will see about joining the upcoming discussion in September... Thanks and regards! Susan

Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
12 years ago
140 posts

Great to meet you, Susan! Thanks for introducing yourself. Your work sounds very interesting. I'll be sure to check out that journal. Hope you'll be able to join us for the Sept. conversation so we can hear more about what you're doing. We'll set that date soon...

Tags